• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Grocery store mystery

Ok just have to ask if anyone has a clue what these are? Listed as mild hot peppers.
IMG_20151123_211705480.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     The red ones look like Fresnos, the skinny green ones in back look like serranos, the big green ones kind of look like a funky Anaheim. Not sure about the small, lumpy green ones though.

edit: big green ones might be cubanelles?

I think he nailed it.  Small green wrinkly ones could be greek pepperoncini.

Well the Fresnos were good. Never tried one before. I have also never seen them in the store here before. Will have to stop and see if there are any left in the am.
Should I let the other ones ripen more before trying or are they intended to be green?

You may have a bit of a challenge getting the green ones to ripen as they look pretty green.

I agree with the others of-
Red Fresno
thin green serrano
Long green curved ones could be anaheim or poblano
long straight lumpy ones-same as above???
the short squatty green ones look like green habaneros- one taste of the heat may give a clue.  Anaheims and poblanos are waaaayyyy milder than habaneros.  Just going on that they were purchased at a supermarket....that'd be my guess...but if they were labeled as "mild".....don't trust the produce department to actually know what the heck a chile pepper is. 

just Sayin' :lol:

edit- and yes, about the Fresnos being good.  Red fresnos are pretty much the only ripe pepper we can get here, and they are a great medium heat pepper to work with!  Tend to have a lot of seeds but are pretty easy to deseed.  (Only because I don't like all that grit, nothing to do with the heat~)

hogleg said:
I agree with SL, I think the pods in question are just unripe habs.

with them flappy wrinkles I'd considered it too, save that how many times have you seen an unripe hab for sale in a market?  

also agree the longer greens are Cubanelles.

SmokenFire said:

with them flappy wrinkles I'd considered it too, save that how many times have you seen an unripe hab for sale in a market?

also agree the longer greens are Cubanelles.
sadly, quite often in our area.

In our LOCAL market, habs are only stocked for a month or 2.  30 miles down the road, with a whole different demographic clientele, habs are stocked mostly year round, but are only stocked ripe for 4-5 months.  The rest of the time they are green. 

Probably the only way the markets can get them in and sell them before they go rotten.  Or maybe it's all the produce department can get. 

Side note- the market that carries the habs has a very large Hispanic clientele so they also stock manzanos and things like prickly pear cactus.  Pretty cool!

I guess I'm spoilt then - year round ripe peppers of all sorts and never a green hab have I seen save in my own garden or at a farmers market.  Benefits of the populace & demographic market though.  I'll take it ;)

With the local demographic here in the Charleston area, I would expect to see a bigger variety of all kinds of fruits and veggies. Unfortunately I have  not seen that in the chain grocery stores. Food Lion( where these came from tonight) often offers a mixed bag of what they call " little hotties" but from what I can tell in all I have seen it is just various stages of Habs and they never look very healthy.

We do have small specialty markets all over the place, and I am going to have to take the time to check them out. I want to find a good source for Thai  peppers.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me identify these. I hope that in time I will be able to recognize more on my own.

I am not going to go into our local stores lack of pepper savvy.
Or maybe I should ....
Two kinds of peppers Green and yellow.
Green includes any pepper picked to early , not only Bells or Jalapenos.
Yellow includes orange habaneros .

But , it could be a gap in the market. :dance:

Food Lion often times mislabels their peppers (seems like they get what they can and just  throw them in any bin that is empty).  I got some choc habs from them last year (from a bin listed Fresnos) and grew them out this year from seed.  They turned out better than some of the seeds I have purchased in the past!

GreyArea said:
Food Lion often times mislabels their peppers (seems like they get what they can and just  throw them in any bin that is empty).  I got some choc habs from them last year (from a bin listed Fresnos) and grew them out this year from seed.  They turned out better than some of the seeds I have purchased in the past!

They did not even try to label these, just in a bin with a "mixed mild hot peppers" tag.
I will go back today when I get the chance and see if there are more Fresnos left. I may make a small batch of pepper relish with them. I think it would be a good flavor. I have made relish with standard green bells before and even a mix with some unknown banana type peppers my folks gave me a few years ago.

Back