• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Grow Bag Mishap?

I'm trying my hand at growing peppers in grow-bags this year. Pictured below are 3 rocoto peppers that I planted in 7-gallon grow-bags, watered heavily, and then relocated. In retrospect, it was not the best idea to move it while the soil was soaking wet, and I'm now concerned about the one on the left and the one in the middle. The soil that I'm using is good soil (a mix of HP promix, promix vegetable soil, and Happy Frog), but I'm still worried about how much compaction occurred when I moved them. You can see the original soil line if you zoom in, compared to where it is now. My concern is that the soil compaction will interfere with root development and stress the plant, but I'm also hesitant to repot, since the plant is still young. Let me know your thoughts on this? Thank you for any help you can offer.
20240520_193049.jpg

First, dont water them anymore until you can stick your finger in two inches and it comes out dry dirt. They dont look bad at all, just keep an eye on the soil. They like slightly damp, not wet. If it looks like the soil got compacted/reduced by water flow, just let it dry out and add soil to the top.

Next, whats the temps in NJ right now? If your plants are outside and it dips below 55deg. get them inside. They look like they can handle full sunlight, so bring them out once outside temps will rise above 55deg. You want to keep the soil temp at least above 55deg. 24/7. Im guessing its as cold there as it is here and Im having a problem with minimal temps. You dont need to water more than 1/4 cup every day until outside temps start getting above 75deg.

They should be fine.

Last edited:
Were they under a light indoors? Peppers are really resiliant. Let the soil dry out some and should bounce right back. When you move them I noticed the shape of the bag changes some and the soil does compact a little but never concerned me too much.

Nice to see those guys potted up! They should be perfectly fine. Putting a dish or tray or something underneath fabric pots to provide support when moving them is helpful until they are well rooted in - like a couple months rooted in. They shouldn't be hurt by this move, but as the roots start to grow out from the transplanted root ball, moving the fabric pots can tear the new roots and that's better to avoid.

I typically mix my dry soil with water in a 5 gallon bucket then pour it into the pot when transplanting, that way I can get it evenly damp without overwatering and potentially compacting. Yours should dry up and be just fine though, especially as you're using quality soil.

My opinion,
Grab a handful of soil squeeze it, if it doesn’t fall apart think about adding larger media into your mixes.
Also you should be able to scrape down into the soil easily from the top maybe an inch. A slight crust is normal but thicker than a 1/4” inch would be weird.
You can loosen up the soil as long as you dont break the roots.
Dont repot unless your soil itself is an issue.
Turn bag on side and roll back an forth gently just watch your soil and plant in the process that they dont fall out.

They look healthy!

Back