• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

GROW BAGS??

I was curious if anyone has any experience with the Viagrow plastic grow bags or anything that is close to them? They look like a little trashbag with holes for drainage, they're reversible to white. Seems like a much cheaper alternative to buying 5 gallon nursery pots. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have the 1 gallon ones, posted a link the other day here about plastic grow bags. Some said the higher you get in size the more likely to rip, the 1 gallon ones work well for me.

Yeah thats what i was affraid of. I found a few sites that have brand new nursery pots for a fairly good price. I'm thinking of buying a few of the bags to experiment but for now sticking to what I know works.

The cloth grow bags work wonders and you can usually find them for a good price on ebay, since this is my first year I don't forsee my self needing more than 3-5 gallon size of anything and that will be for what I over-winter

Thanks, I'll have to check out the fabric bags. I've read about people using them on here and they seem to work very well, but haven't heard anything about the plastic ones.

My Home Depot paint department has orange 5 gal. buckets @ $2.60 .
With a half dozen 1" holes in the sides at the bottom, these buckets will be placed on scrap 12" x 12" lumber plates on my deck and the edges of my driveway. I hope to over winter some of the select plants.

Im trying a little experiment on my Serrano's and Jalapeno's.

I put holes 1/2 way up the cans or bottles and just fill them up now and then. Right away I see a difference in how many bugs I have.
The homer bucket could probably use 2 bottles but it just an experiment.

533969_3591645557491_1463940881_3195976_1092224812_n.jpg

and
578227_3591646757521_1463940881_3195982_602575802_n.jpg

Notice the Serrano at the bottom of this picture, as it is deformed. that leaf has 2 points WTF?

This is how I plan on my 5gallons. Awesome idea by cayenn for watering!

I used them last year the 5 and 7 gallon grow bags and this season the 1 gallon without any issues.
Last year:7 gallon
DSCN0040.jpg

This year: 1 gallon
DSCN0123.jpg

With a half dozen 1" holes in the sides at the bottom, these buckets will be placed on scrap 12" x 12" lumber plates on my deck and the edges of my driveway. I hope to over winter some of the select plants.

I am using the Lowes 5 gallon buckets for my special plants. :high: ;)

The fabric bags are even better as they prune the roots which stops a root bound condition and they supply more oxygen to the roots.
The new air pots are even better but pricey.

No issues even through heavy rain and wind the only thing you have to add is about 1/2 to 1 in. gravel at the bottom of the bag to help balance it I hardly ever moved the bag and if I did I made sure to carry it from the bottom.

I grew 60+ of my container plants in 5 gal and 20liter buckets, the 5 gals I bought at lowes for $1.85 the 20liters I got from a friend at a brewing company the plants I grew in them did awesome

These work for me and they're pretty cheap. I re-use 'em too. Results are huge plants, huge yields and transplanting, if desired is as easy as placing the "bags" on top of whatever I want to transplant them into.

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

Underneath there's a particular capillary fabric which makes watering really easy. Just add water to the fabric and the bags just soak it up rapidly. These two swallow 1.5 Liters in ~2 minutes once every 2-3 days. I use a home-made mix in the bags that is fairly granular but has high capillarity.

This thread gave me a great idea, cant believe i never thought of this before, and then the light bulb moment came <PING>

We chew through these stock feed bags every week, they are made out of woven plastic, strong as hell & they breath.

We just use them as rubbish bags.

feedbags1.jpg

So i grabbed a couple & rolled down the edges to pot size, sat them on the floor & thought excellent just the job.

feedbags3.jpg

feedbags2.jpg

feedbags4.jpg

To buy a pot this size would cost about $5.00 here, a bag of potting mix that would fill this is $5.50 & then im left with an empty plastic potting mix bag that i can use as a rubbish bag. :party:

Ive got stacks of these stock feed bags in the shed, so my big pot worry's are over, and they are easy 5 gal +

Mezo.

This has got to be my favorite Post in THP, Im going to make my self some of this pots, bags and what not, I just got much to do now.

I'm actually thinking of starting to sell refined versions of these bags/tubes since they work very well. Here's my idea:

The idea is to sell a kit that includes the base tubes, which are like most fabric pots but they breathe a lot better and are completely UV resistant for outdoor/greenhouse use, filled with a media of my creation which is 2 types of peat, 2 types of perlite, coir, sprinkle of Dol. Lime, a specific grade of Zeolite for insanely high CEC (particularly in Phosphorus which is never available enough from my testing, despite using high-P ferts) and some other hidden goodies. My plan is to sell these with full instructions and with the granular fertilizer (thinking about a 100:1 concentrate since folks like liquid nutes and I can keep the FeEDTA in solution at that concentration) I've developed off Chatelier's formula which works incredibly well along with the specific capillary fabric that keeps everything evenly watered to a distance of up to 30 feet. I think I'll be able to sell it for less than what rockwool slabs cost, but the customer gets nutrients, the fabric, etc. The results are always great and disposal is far less of an issue than rockwool. You can top feed it, bottom feed it, wick irrigate, drip irrigation or even shove them in NFT troughs and turn back the timer to once every 12 - 48 hours (depending on conditions) instead of the usual 15 min on/15 min off that NFT uses.

The idea is to make it so that anyone can grow spectacular crops with a high margin of error - something that's is missing with most hydro setups (aeroponics and DWC come to mind).

I've made a few production-quality units in the past couple weeks that really look professional (i.e. no ugly white huge zip ties on the ends). as a side note, I've got over a dozen years experience in various horticultural fields on my resume for whatever that's worth.

Let me know your thought on this and feel free to play "devil's advocate", it won't hurt my feelings and it may expose errors in the system design that I may not have thought of.

Thanks!

Now there's an idea, start selling things to help people out and make beginning gardening easier, not to get rich!
OH wait or are you going to sell them superhot seeds @ $2 a piece to grow in them? ;)

I'm actually thinking of starting to sell refined versions of these bags/tubes since they work very well. Here's my idea:

The idea is to sell a kit that includes the base tubes, which are like most fabric pots but they breathe a lot better and are completely UV resistant for outdoor/greenhouse use, filled with a media of my creation which is 2 types of peat, 2 types of perlite, coir, sprinkle of Dol. Lime, a specific grade of Zeolite for insanely high CEC (particularly in Phosphorus which is never available enough from my testing, despite using high-P ferts) and some other hidden goodies. My plan is to sell these with full instructions and with the granular fertilizer (thinking about a 100:1 concentrate since folks like liquid nutes and I can keep the FeEDTA in solution at that concentration) I've developed off Chatelier's formula which works incredibly well along with the specific capillary fabric that keeps everything evenly watered to a distance of up to 30 feet. I think I'll be able to sell it for less than what rockwool slabs cost, but the customer gets nutrients, the fabric, etc. The results are always great and disposal is far less of an issue than rockwool. You can top feed it, bottom feed it, wick irrigate, drip irrigation or even shove them in NFT troughs and turn back the timer to once every 12 - 48 hours (depending on conditions) instead of the usual 15 min on/15 min off that NFT uses.

The idea is to make it so that anyone can grow spectacular crops with a high margin of error - something that's is missing with most hydro setups (aeroponics and DWC come to mind).

I've made a few production-quality units in the past couple weeks that really look professional (i.e. no ugly white huge zip ties on the ends). as a side note, I've got over a dozen years experience in various horticultural fields on my resume for whatever that's worth.

Let me know your thought on this and feel free to play "devil's advocate", it won't hurt my feelings and it may expose errors in the system design that I may not have thought of.

Thanks!
Sounds Great, just make sure i get the first one off the assembly line and don't short me on my cut! ;)

Back