Grow or bloom fert. for blooming hot peppers

cycadjungle said:
I get 4 cycles of flowers each year. I really can't switch fertilizers every two months. I incorporate 360 day Nutricote once a year and I get good amounts of flowers and pods. I also get good growth between cycles.

I personally wouldn't switch back and forth either. Once pepper plants are in bloom I will will stick with bloom nuts till the end. I believe there is enough nitrogen in my bloom nuts to promote good growth till the end.
I didn't know peppers had flower cycles. My only previous experience with peppers was with bankok F1. They seemed to set fruit until the plant couldn't support any more. Would then drop blooms and veg for a week, then would start producing blooms again.

Stevedesertpepper said:

I personally wouldn't switch back and forth either. Once pepper plants are in bloom I will will stick with bloom nuts till the end. I believe there is enough nitrogen in my bloom nuts to promote good growth till the end.
I didn't know peppers had flower cycles. My only previous experience with peppers was with bankok F1. They seemed to set fruit until the plant couldn't support any more. Would then drop blooms and veg for a week, then would start producing blooms again.
In my experience Baccatums have continuously grown and produced fruit all season whilst Chinense and Anuums go through growth and fruiting cycles. This may depend on different varieties and growers but this is what I have observed in my garden. I dont cycle my nutes.

Jase4224 said:
In my experience Baccatums have continuously grown and produced fruit all season whilst Chinense and Anuums go through growth and fruiting cycles. This may depend on different varieties and growers but this is what I have observed in my garden. I dont cycle my nutes.

Thanks for the comment. One week ago my yellow moruga had many flowers and 5 pods. It dropped all its blooms, then it produced new shoots. Today I noticed blooms forming in the new shoots, all within one week.

Attachments

• Yellow Moruga 141 days.JPG
    Yellow Moruga 141 days.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Yellow Moruga 148 days.JPG
    Yellow Moruga 148 days.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 70
Looking good, my chinense varieties also start off slow then pickup later in the season. Dont panic if the early flowers drop for a while if your plants are happy enough they will fruit later. I have a choc hab that for two years in a row produced about 10 fruit from Dec to Feb dropping hundreds of flowers but as soon as March hits its covered in fruit. I got no idea why this plant does this and I also dont know if my experiences reflect a general trend or are unique to my conditions.

Chewi said:
where is solid7? he'd say 3-1-2 is all you need all the time anytime.

Yep, true story.
I have a 12 month growing cycle, and I don't "veg" and "bloom".  But I gave up long ago.  If people choose to buy into quack science, it's OK by me.  The grow industry loves everyone for believing in things that let them make expensive products.  :)
For the record - hormones grow plants, not macro/micronutrients.  You can't force a plant to take up more P or K, and produce a targeted result, no matter how hard you try. (except if there is a deficiency) If the nutes are there, the plant will get exactly what it needs.  Nothing more, nothing less.  ;)
When it comes to feeding plants, your time is better spent figuring out how to produce better overall plant health, as opposed to adjusting NPK ratios at specific intervals.  Unless you are producing a specific plant in hydroponics - in which case, there may or may not be some value in pinching every last PPM out of your nutes.
I should have done a glog on the great 5-1-1 grow of 2016.  I had an entire section of plants that I fed NOTHING but Alaska fish, for an entire season.  And they looked MAGNIFICENT.  Absolute proof positive that NPK's aren't as critical as we think. (but I'd maintain that 3-1-2 is still the target ratio for a sterile substrate)
And you guys don't have to miss me.  I'm here. ;)

Stevedesertpepper said:

I think you might find that if you don't use bloom nutes, you can keep production continuous.  Once my plants start flowering, unless there's a weather related issue, they never stop, until it gets too cool.
It's bad business to dial back N in plants during a fruiting stage.  N is required as the main macro though the entire plant life cycle.  If you have "cycles", your plant may be in "famine" mode, and while not technically deprived of Nitrogen, it may be conserving, based on what it sees as a draw-down of resources. (so as not to incur a shortage)
In-ground crops often receive less N at intervals, because sequestration occurs in the soil.  That shouldn't be mistaken for needing less N.  

solid7 said:

Yep, true story.
I have a 12 month growing cycle, and I don't "veg" and "bloom".
What about people that don't have a 12 month growing season? You have the luxury of a slow and steady pod production throughout the year but people that don't, can benefit from the extra P and K to give them a bigger crop all at once.

Edmick said:
What about people that don't have a 12 month growing season? You have the luxury of a slow and steady pod production throughout the year but people that don't, can benefit from the extra P and K to give them a bigger crop all at once.

I don't want this to turn contentious, but I will clarify my statements.  Adding more P and K don't stimulate growth.  A plant either needs those things, or it doesn't.  That's all I'm saying.  If your plant needs either of those things, and shows a response to them, it's because it wasn't sufficient, previously.
You can't make a plant grow bigger and greener just by adding Nitrogen.  The plant takes what it needs, and the rest is waste.
You can't make a plant grow massive roots by adding more phosphorus.  The plant takes what it needs, and the rest is waste.
You can't make a plant flower by simply adding potassium.  The plant takes what it needs, and the rest is waste.
There is a pattern to this logic... :)
You can stimulate plant growth by providing things to the soil that encourage hormone production.  The "biostimulants" that were referenced previously. (many of which you can get through simple AACT)  And as long as there is sufficient NPK to properly feed the plant, the rest takes care of itself.  Of course, environment plays a part, too.  But not to digress...

If we had "truth in advertising" laws on fertilizer, the same way we do on food, I think the science would be much clearer...

Back