• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

grow room(closet) humidity issue

rjacobs said:

I already had a fan for circulation, it was mentioned in my OP.

Got a tent and 4" exhaust fan(hurricane 4" in line) ordered and am picking it up tomorrow.  Just going to use the fan for exhaust and let it pull air from the bottom inlets and exhaust out the top.  The 4" is rated at like 175 CFM so I figure I will be changing the air in the tent(3x5x7) every minute should be PLENTY.  The 6" fans pull like 400 CFM which is way more than I think I need.  If I was trying to cool a light, the extra FPS might be worth it, but just for an exhaust fan, 175 cfm should be plenty.
yeah thats heaps.As you say if using HID lights you need as much exhaust as needed to cool a light but LEDs don't produce the heat so you are good.You could even put the exhaust on a timer to go on very 15 mins or so if you need to keep a bit of heat in

Got the grow tent.  Size is perfect.  Quality is ok, but for 170 bucks I cant complain.  Its not as nice as the Gorilla tent's, but its also not a 450+ dollar tent.  One of the seams in a corner tore when I was trying to get the tent over the frame.  I stitched it up as best I could and I am sure it will hold. 

The exhaust fan was out of stock and they didnt have any other 4" fans.  I ordered from Amazon and it will be here Thursday.  I'm keeping all the closeable vent holes open for now, but I will close them all up when the fan shows up on Thursday.

Good stuff
As soon as you install those fans you may end up having the reverse problem of not enough humidity. low humidity and high temps are the main reasons why indoor peppers don't set fruit.You can hang a rung out wet towel from a coat hanger inside the tent to raise the humidity.Just replace towel when dry. :)

ill see how the air moves and I might get a fan controller to slow the exhaust fan.  I ran it most of the day today with obviously no exhaust fan and the temps didnt seem to get to crazy, but im sure the air in there is getting stagnant which isnt good either.  I have my recirculation fan setup pulling air in from one of the side vents at the bottom which should help out too.

hogleg said:
:rofl: That thing IS huge for a 4" fan. Your setup looks like its really coming together, nice work.

4" inlet and outlet.  171 cfm rated.  Sounds like a jet engine running!

The 6" is rated at 435 CFM.  Both pull 1 amp.  Im thinking the fan is basically the same, just the inlet/outlet is changed and thats what limits the flow on the 4".

Yea I was gonna say the bell on that one looks to be the same size as a 6"-8". I'm surprised it only moves 171cfm. They can be a lil' loud unless you spend big bucks on em. As you said just get a speed controller and dial it in to your (their) comfort zone.  :P

The 6" version also only draws 0.5A.

And comes with a speed controller.

I think its a DC motor.

hogleg said:

Looks like a copy of the old CanFan MaxFan series to me. Lemme know when you're running the 14", Tuffguy?

I can barely hear you on the field from the bench. :rofl:

hogleg said:
Yea I was gonna say the bell on that one looks to be the same size as a 6"-8". I'm surprised it only moves 171cfm. They can be a lil' loud unless you spend big bucks on em. As you said just get a speed controller and dial it in to your (their) comfort zone.  :P

The fan controller works wonderfully.  Got it turned down quite a bit.  Im sure on the low speed I set it on it will still move plenty of air and its nice and quiet now too.  Produced enough white noise to block out my tinnitus anyway!

I would be the 6" is much quieter even though it moves a TON more air.  Im thinking the 4" inlet/outlet causes a lot of the noise due to restriction while the 6" can flow pretty freely. 

I think the setup is perfect for me though to move air.  Im pretty happy with the Hurricane fan too, its got a 5 year warranty.  Even with the speed controller I am still at less cost than that hyperfan and that things is overkill for my setup and needs anyway.

rjacobs said:
Got my 4 reaper plants indoors in a closet(roughly 4x6) with a 900w Mars hydro LED and a small fan on a 12 hour timer(going to step up to 14 and then 16 after plants get used to LED).

They are showing signs of over watering(yellow leaves dropping, flowers dropping, and now some edema).  I watered them ~2 weeks ago now when I repotted(7 gallon rubber maid trash cans, cut holes in bottom for drainage) so I am dealing with that by doing a whole lot of nothing(its a novel concept I know).

I think part of my issue is the humidity in the closet is pretty high(I dont know how high, dont have a hygrometer).  Its a pretty well sealed space and I keep the door closed when the light is on so that the glow from the LED doesnt attract any attention(bedroom window faces the street) even though I am NOT growing anything illegal, just dont need any knocks on my door.  I have been trying to open the door at night for a few hours and close it before I go to bed(light comes on at 5am, I dont get up till around 8 usually).  I have been keeping the door closed all day, which appears to be causing a ton of humidity to build up and cause issues.  Im thinking I will try leaving the door cracked open just an inch or so to allow some air to flow, but still allow the temp in the closet to build up.  Getting the plants out of the 60 degree outside temps and into 85-90 degree inside the closet was causing all kinds of pods to start popping(and the LED light too), but I think the high humidity caused the flowers to drop and is also causing the edema on the leaves.

Anybody got any suggestions to help with the high humidity outside of just leaving the door cracked open all the time?

I was thinking of throwing in one of those big 1 gallon or so Damp Rid buckets, but I think I might over whelm it quickly and they arent all that cheap.

My plants that are under my Mars Hydro almost all have Edema. And they are in a fully ventilated and open area. And the humidity in my house is around 50%. And most super hot's actually thrive on humidity as they come from very humid climates like Trinidad and India! To me it's simply that under the light's especially LED's that don't put off nearly as much heat as HPS or MH. They just don't evaporate the water fast enough. I would simply not water until you see them droop. But ventilating your closet will help out! And the inside of my house is lit by 6 different LED's in various locations. My neighbor works for the DEA and he has no idea what I am growing has never asked and I have yet to receive a knock from anyone about it. Especially in December everyone's houses are lighted to high hell. Just tell them it's a spicy Christmas tree if they come knocking.

Back