• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing beans near peppers - Too much nitrogen?

Since beans are nitrogen affixers & peppers don't tolerate excessive nitrogen without aborting fruit, how far apart should I keep these plants separated in a raised bed? I have a single 4' x 8' raised bed & was thinking about dedicating half of it to beans and sticking a few basil & pepper plants in the remaining 4x4 space. Will growing peppers in close proximity to beans cause any problems?

My tentative layout is like this:

h2adQzP.png

In the past my basil plants have occupied the southern tip of my raised bed where I'm planning on sticking the peppers & they have excelled every year. I think putting them close to the nitrogen affixing beans would help them out even more. I've never grown beans before & I'm basing the planting density on what I could gather online, 9 per square foot (bush type) and 3 per foot of row (pole type).

Any critical feedback would be great!

And if you don't mind my asking... According to that chart, you've only got 3-4 pepper plants in a 12 squarefoot area. I'm curious as to why only 3-4?

And this is more for everyone in general... My thought always was that pepper plants, in general, need only 1-2 feet of space from each other, so I'd imagine 6-12 would be good in that area. Is this incorrect?

And if you don't mind my asking... According to that chart, you've only got 3-4 pepper plants in a 12 squarefoot area. I'm curious as to why only 3-4?

And this is more for everyone in general... My thought always was that pepper plants, in general, need only 1-2 feet of space from each other, so I'd imagine 6-12 would be good in that area. Is this incorrect?

It depends on the varieties, my annums I tend to space a lot closer but this year I'm going to be growing chinenses and a baccatum and in the past I've had those get quite large. I'm hoping to keep these ones I plant this year alive overwinter & so I'm considering how much room they'll need in their second year too. I had 4 of 6 plants survive winter in my raised bed this year with no intervention on my part so I'm hoping that's not an unreasonable goal. I had to pull them out though since I'm raising the bed another cinderblock & tilling in another cubic yard of compost.

The majority of my peppers & all of my tomatoes are gonna be in 5 gallon buckets with promix this year, I just want to try and grow a few in ground too.

Is say toss a few in with the beans as a sort or experiment to see if the beans are harmful or helpful. I doubt they would affect the peppers too much and I think they would be far more beneficial. How much nitrogen can beans affix anyway...?

Elcap, if I spaced plants only 2 feet I could never get into them to harvest anything. 1-2 feet if in a line, 4-5 if in rows. Most of my chinense types are 5-6 feet wide by end of august.

Is say toss a few in with the beans as a sort or experiment to see if the beans are harmful or helpful. I doubt they would affect the peppers too much and I think they would be far more beneficial. How much nitrogen can beans affix anyway...?

Elcap, if I spaced plants only 2 feet I could never get into them to harvest anything. 1-2 feet if in a line, 4-5 if in rows. Most of my chinense types are 5-6 feet wide by end of august.

Good to know, thanks!

So if I used the backyard strip of land in my parents place, and it's about 9-10 feet wide by about 45 feet long, according to that math, I could realistically do something like 3-4 rows of 10-12 plants each. That sound good?

you should not have a problem as bean are easy and will grow well even in poor soil, (just my experience), you dont need to give them too much unless your going to pick alot and then just target feed them right around the root base and not too close to the peppers
liquid fert works better in this case, no leaching

thanks your friend Joe

Good to know, thanks!

So if I used the backyard strip of land in my parents place, and it's about 9-10 feet wide by about 45 feet long, according to that math, I could realistically do something like 3-4 rows of 10-12 plants each. That sound good?

Id do 2-3 rows with 20 or so plants each. 2 ft spacing in the rows should be great.

Tx you'll be fine bro.

I don't know how much truth there is in this but I have heard that it is good to grow beans when you are growing peppers since pests (whitefly was the example the person used) will attack the beans instead of the peppers.

Back