• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Bhut Jolokia

I have tried several different seedling starter mixes and the last one I am very happy with. I am using Burpee refills for their 36 cell planters, drop a pellet in, add 1 1/2 ounces warm water and they expand. I think they are mostly coir. Once you are ready to transplant, go with something like ProMix BX or Fertilome, just try to stay away from Miracle Grow potting soil, IMO it is junk and has lots of "fillers" a.k.a. garbage.

I would get them started ASAP! they can take awhile to germinate but sometimes surprise you. Try keeping the soil temp around 85 degrees during germination and then immediately under the lights as soon as they appear.

ilpepergod said:
i recently bought some regular Bhut Jolokia seeds and i live in West-Central IL, will these peppers grow here real well?

Yes but you need to start them about a month ago to have a shot at a harvest before winter is back. I started about this time last year and was only able to harvest about 10% of my bhut's, the rest were still green when it started dropping below freezing again and they died. If you move quick and have good luck you might do a little better even with the late start.

You can always bring them inside next to a bright window to finish ripening. This is easier if they are in a pot to begin with, but you can also cafefully dig up the plant and pot it too. This is how I finished my Naga Morich last year. At first frost, I still had close to 50 pods on the plant. So, I dug it up, put it in a pot, and brought it inside. When the pods were ripe, I cut the plant back to just a couple little knobs and very little roots and left it in the garage under a CFL bulb for the winter.

Here is a pic of the plant taken about a week ago:

DSC00852.jpg

Leaf mass has more than double since then.

jacob

Back