• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Bhuts

This being the first time growing hot peppers, I found this site very helpful in growing my Bhuts. On thing I noticed is that I have seen many posts talking about taking it very easy on the water. After doing some research on the Bhuts, I thought I would look at thier native growing conditions. What I found was surprising. Bhuts are from the Assam region of India and I found out that it is a region of excessive humidity

"The climate of Assam is depicted by its extreme humidity. Its most distinguishing feature is the abundant rainfall between March and May at a time when rain in upper India is at its minimum. By climate wise the year in Assam can be divided into the cold season and the rainy. The cold weather lasts from October to February and the rest of the year is rainy. The southwest monsoon begin in Assam from middle of June." http://www.north-east-india.com/information/climate.html

I'm planning on keeping a couple in pots in the front of our brick house...for the extreme heat during the summer. And keep them plenty moist. Just my thoughts. What do you think?

Anyway..was wondering how important it was to mimic the plants natural growing conditions to maximize the heat of the pepper since I heard growning conditions affect the heat.

As for putting them in pots and against the brick wall on the south side of the house,I thought it would keep the plants in more heat during the day and warmer at night because of the brick radiating the heat. From what i could find out..that region of India had temperatures in the summer ranging from 90 to 100 degrees (30-38 degrees celsius).

My weather is no where close to Assam. Will see how these Bhuts like my Dry hot summer in coloado. This is my first year of growing it.

Sanjay.

That explains a lot. My greenhouse is very humid. The only time I've been in a similar environment was in the jungle in Belize where it was hot as hell and literally dripping wet.

The other varieties of peppers are doing moderately okay, but the bhuts are absolutely loving it. I'm not sure I've ever had pepper plants so happy.

Read my posting about geting my Bhuts/Nagas to sprout...I have an update. It is basically what you say! The way I planted the Bhut or Naga seeds, in a small pot, then covered them in clear plastic wrap and put them under the growlights in my Aerogrow garden. I now have germination in all my Bhuts or Nagas pots. Only 1-3 so far..but that is amazing!!!,in less than 5 days!!! This would explain a lot!

Back