• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing Chiles in HEL - 2019

Today I took 27 pellets off the heat mats and transplanted them into their first small pots. Then I moved them into my temporary grow room (sauna) under the lights where they will spend the next 60 days or so until it's warm enough to move outside for the summer.

I've still got another 75 pellets on the heat mats and will move them to the lamps as they pop.

On the tray in the photo, there are two separate LED lamp rigs.

The lamp specs: 

Strip Length: 61 cm
Watts: 15 watts per strip (45 watts per rig)
Kelvin: 6400K
Lumens: 1500 per strip
PPFD (at 100mm distance): 399 µmol/s/m2 per strip

tarha.jpg

And the newest addition to this year's grow, an Annuum called "Antep Aci Dolma" which was created by a university in Turkey.

Hopped in the car and drove out to Veikkola (about 20 minutes drive from Helsinki) and bought the seedling from the man himself, Jukka "Fatalii" Kilpinen.

My last Mercedes did not have a cup holder and I was forever telling my wife that the next car was going to have cup holders. So last summer, we bought a 2013 Mercedes GLK AMG 320 CDI - and it has chili transport holders (cup holders)!

Enter exhibit image twelve fourty-five.

IMG_1245.jpeg

Looks like grow time is just about on you, Mika.
Good luck getting to a point where you can just
relax and watch the plants grow!

Your wife has crossing projects?
That's too awesome!

Good luck to you both as the season marches on..

deolater said:
Wow, I really screwed up the formatting there.

Yeah, Lemon Drop and Bishop's Crown for me produce nearly identical plants with small (3-5cm) pointy leaves. I got a ton of pods from the Lemon Drop, but the Bishop's Crown didn't produce anything last year. I'm hoping the bigger plant from overwintering will do the trick.

I wonder if the difference we see in leaf size could be explained by climate. My Montufars aren't anywhere close to as beautiful as yours. It was 35C yesterday....

The Bishop's Crown had huge leaves when it was inside under LEDs in the grow room. I also read online that they are massive sized plants with massive sized leaves. Maybe you got something else? I could send you some seeds...

If it's that hot, I hope you have your Montys in the shade?

PaulG said:
Looks like grow time is just about on you, Mika.
Good luck getting to a point where you can just
relax and watch the plants grow!

Your wife has crossing projects?
That's too awesome!

Good luck to you both as the season marches on..

Thanks, Paul!

I don't know if I ever get to the point that things are fully automated - something always needs support :-)

Yeah, my wife is a chilihead too. She got hooked one day when I fed her a fresh Lemon Drop while she was driving us home from the supermarket !!!

Man, it's time to get out the Dead - Sugaree

OK, I've got a dozen hooks out of forty in less than three days with the Baccatums I started in rockwool cubes on Wednesday night! Unbelievable, and I'm not even using the heat mats. First time using rockwool, but I think I am now sold for life.

Elho also makes propagators with trays and lids. I like this company's products, mostly.

IMG_1249.jpeg

Looks like really good quality stuff, Mika.

Crazy germination on those baccatums!

PaulG said:
Looks like really good quality stuff, Mika.

Crazy germination on those baccatums!

Yeah, I heard that rockwool was the shit when it comes to germination but this beats my previous record with heat mats and coir pellets by more than one full day.

Thing is, the price is about the same but with rockwool of course you need to start feeding them at first true leaves. The coir pellets contain enough nutes to last for a few weeks.

podz said:

The Bishop's Crown had huge leaves when it was inside under LEDs in the grow room. I also read online that they are massive sized plants with massive sized leaves. Maybe you got something else? I could send you some seeds...

If it's that hot, I hope you have your Montys in the shade?

I've got pictures on my glog of the fruit the Bishop's Crown plant produced last year... all three pods...

Yeah, montys are in the shade. So far they're not growing much, but looking healthy at least.

Showing my age again: It's the new mother nature taking over...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cn7awG9Ho

podz said:
And the newest addition to this year's grow, an Annuum called "Antep Aci Dolma" which was created by a university in Turkey.

Hey Podz.  I got to your glog late, but enjoyed reading my way through it and catching up to current.  Cool to see the many interesting things in and around your grow.  It all seems to be shaping up nicely and hopefully the weather will stabilize into summer for you soon.

The AAD is a cool late addition. I'm growing the AAD for the first time this season too, so I'm interested to see how they do - and to compare/contrast them with Tekne Dolmasi. I've gone on a bit of a Turkish pepper tangent since a client brought me these guys last year - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69199-favorite-new-to-you-variety-you-grew-this-year/?p=1573585

Anyhow, continued good luck and now that I've binged your glog to date I'm looking forward to following in real time.

Back