• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing for Flavour

I'm growing a few varieties this year but the ones I'm most looking forward to are the bonnets/bonnet crosses. There are loads of posts about growing for heat (stressing plants etc) but are there any tips for enhancing the flavour of my pods?

I don't know for sure but I suspect it will come down to plant genetics rather then anything you can actually do. Of course the usual recommendations are to grow all organically with lots of high quality worm castings, composts, and teas/ACT ...some are sure this maximizes flavor profiles. I'm new to peppers so can't say but I've always grown organically ... I do it anyway just because its a great way to grow. I have heard people say guanos are great for maximizing flavor.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in soon. Good luck!

Cheers Ozzz. I just got some worm castings and bat gauno actually so we'll see how that goes. They're so expensive though for what they are :shocked:

Cheers Ozzz. I just got some worm castings and bat gauno actually so we'll see how that goes. They're so expensive though for what they are :shocked:

The guanos definitely are...get yourself a worm bin though ...homemade castings are leaps and bounds better the old dry castings purchased at a store...plus- you make them for free from your trash :)

The guanos definitely are...get yourself a worm bin though ...homemade castings are leaps and bounds better the old dry castings purchased at a store...plus- you make them for free from your trash :)

I did look into that last year but I never got one going. It's something I'm going to do though for sure. I compost a bit at the moment but a worm bin would be brilliant.

I was going to do the same i have 4 rubbermaid containers lying around and figured it was a good way to use them in a 4 tier worm farm, only thing is in my area no one really sells the red wiggler worms needed. cheapest ive found was $30/lb $15/.5lbs and its about an hour and a half drive away or get them shipped for $9/lbs or $8/.5lbs, my only other question would be how often do you added it, and for the liquid nutrients you get how much to dilute and how often as well?

I like to harvest a couple hours after I water the plants at night. I don't know about the flavour, but they are holding alot more water and are a bit more juicy.

Organic improves brix...

I think a wide variety of natual minerals will help you out the most. Try Rock Dust, Worm Castings, or Kelp, as they have wide varieties of micronutrients that are readily soluble for plant uptake.

In order for a plant to reach its full flavor potenual, it needs to get everything that it craves.
NPK may be esintial to production, but micronutrients have their roll plant health and fruit flavor.

Basically maximising Brix levels (ie natural sugars) in the plant is the way to achieve optimal flavour and storage properties of any produce. There is a wealth of reading to be done on the subject but it (as cayeenemist has stated above) basically means you have plants at optimal health with everything they need when they need it.

It means that not only are the plants produce at optimal flavour but are also at optimum health,

Organic improves brix...

I think a wide variety of natual minerals will help you out the most. Try Rock Dust, Worm Castings, or Kelp, as they have wide varieties of micronutrients that are readily soluble for plant uptake.

In order for a plant to reach its full flavor potenual, it needs to get everything that it craves.
NPK may be esintial to production, but micronutrients have their roll plant health and fruit flavor.
I was going to say something similar, besides the right fertilizers + compost + PH, get as many minerals into that soil as you can.

Here in the USA we are pretty lucky, we have easy access to a product called Azomite. Made from a mixture of ancient volcanic lava and seabed deposits (approx 70 minerals). We can pick it up for pennies on the dollar compared to other solutions (Ebay etc) and a little bit goes a long way. This stuff is great to throw into potting mix, or scratching into the dripline of plants in a dirt bed. It will not burn up a sensitive seedling's roots either.

I wonder if it's available in the UK (?)

Thanks guys, you can always rely on pepper people for good advice.

I wonder if it's available in the UK (?)

That stuff sounds great, had a very quick look on ebay and the P&P was nuts so am gonna have a proper look now, see if it can be obtained for cheaper : )

i tried almost all of the above last year... most flavorful peppers i've ever eaten. a quarter of a fatalii would inundate an entire meal with flavor. I started eating cleo's dragon habaneros like they were cherries because they tasted so good

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I like to harvest a couple hours after I water the plants at night. I don't know about the flavour, but they are holding alot more water and are a bit more juicy.[/background]

i never tried that, if the fruit has more water, then the capsaicin should repel when mixed, that may intensify the heat by dispersing it to every corner of one's mouth - think i will try that this year. heavily water at 4pm and harvest around 8pm.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] I started eating cleo's dragon habaneros like they were cherries[/background]

i just watched videos on the Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion and bubblegum 7pot, i'll have to check into this dragon hab.

A guy at work just brought home grown tomatoes, cukes and chopped them up.  He said try these.  The flavor was better than super market and some grow stands I have tried.  He swears buy Rock Dust for flavor and claims he couldnt figure out why his vegetables lost their flavor after being grown in the same soil year after year.  He says just a light dusting of rock dust is all that it takes.  The tomato and cuke taste was by far better than I have had in a long time.  Try it and see if you agree with him.  Not sure what the content of rock dust he used.  I just spoke with him and he said local rock dust is best, the finer the better, almost like talcom powder is best he said.

Rhody....

He also said to speed pollination, take epsom salts and dissolve in warm water, put in spray bottle and spray the flowers,
claims he gets a great number of vegetables this way.  Anyone ever heard of it ?

Rhody...

I used to grow a lot of red peppers when I lived in the Philippines (mostly the Thai Bird's Eye variety).

I always had good luck with just using Miracle-Gro Tomato Plant Food. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water

Soak the soil with it about once every 3 weeks.

Flavor of pods on the same plant will vary throughout the grow season due to stages of plant maturity and reaction to weather factors. It is very normal for humans to attribute observed changes to "this" or "that". It is superstitious behavior. If you want consistent flavor, be consistent with watering, feeding, etc. and understand that the plant is changing as well via natural stages of aging. If you remain consistent in your care, soils, local weather patterns, etc., then you can select for flavor. Only harvest, save, and plant seeds from the tastiest plants.

Back