• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing Horseradish

Yeah, I know that, but how much yield do they have? (so proud of myself for finding this in search rather than starting a new thread)

enough to eat?....don't understand the how much...I never dug up all of mine and they come back year after year...I will probably dig up and process a little each month since it doesn't have a very long shelf life...

Well, I had about five roots between nickle and quarter sized thickness and maybe five-eight inches long. I trimmed them and ground them, they made a pint of processed horseradish. Could I expect that much in a year?

JayT, our horseradish was well established when we moved here, but I've dup up and given away some small pieces. My feeling is, that a small root will need a couple years to get well established. Maybe dig it up just to take a peek at it next year and if it looks good or has split into a couple taproots(like when a carrot splits into two roots) cut one of the tap roots off to use or cut a piece off the bottom just to sample, but put the large top and other taproot back into the ground. If it has split or started other roots, maybe take half, leave half.

Ain't nuthin like fresh horseradish, HUH!

Back