• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Growing hot Chilli's from seed

Hey Dudes and Dudettes,

Here is a wee video of how I plant my 8 seed varieties that I purchased from Neil at the Hippyseedcompany. Please give me some feedback.

Thanks

One thing I have learned is, make sure you are getting *some* airflow in the propagator. Maybe it's just me but I've noticed that no matter what other precautions you take or how much excess water you drain from the Jiffy's, if they are not getting fresh air, they will grow white funky stuff. Could just be my bad gardening skills, but that's my 2 cents. :lol:

As for soaking seeds, I let them soak overnight to really try and soften them. I also soak them in a chamomile tea solution as apparently it has anti-fungal properties and will help protect against fungus (can't vouch for that, but that's what they say).

One thing I have learned is, make sure you are getting *some* airflow in the propagator. Maybe it's just me but I've noticed that no matter what other precautions you take or how much excess water you drain from the Jiffy's, if they are not getting fresh air, they will grow white funky stuff. Could just be my bad gardening skills, but that's my 2 cents. :lol:

As for soaking seeds, I let them soak overnight to really try and soften them. I also soak them in a chamomile tea solution as apparently it has anti-fungal properties and will help protect against fungus (can't vouch for that, but that's what they say).

Aaaah interesting, yes a cool trick I will try it next time round for sure. Thanks for the advice :)

Nice video Joey...Best of luck to you this grow season :cool:

Thanks Maligator,

I am getting a bit worried about this weather though, it's been 12 Celsius here during the day and colder at night. I hope some warmer weather comes soon or I will have to put a light on it.

Great video, joey.

I'm using pretty much the same method, been having a good germination rate so far, hopefully they hold-on.

Tell me bout the weather, we're having bout 8 degree day's up here in sunny ballarat.

Keep up the good work

\m/

Great video, joey.

I'm using pretty much the same method, been having a good germination rate so far, hopefully they hold-on.

Tell me bout the weather, we're having bout 8 degree day's up here in sunny ballarat.

Keep up the good work

\m/

Thanks dude, yeah this is the first time I have ever been sick of winter, even after 10 years in the UK I never complained once but this Victorian winter is doing my head in. I am pretty keen so see how long they take to sprout. What are you germinating?

Thanks dude, yeah this is the first time I have ever been sick of winter, even after 10 years in the UK I never complained once but this Victorian winter is doing my head in. I am pretty keen so see how long they take to sprout. What are you germinating?
:lol:

Aye, I too used to be very fond of winter....

I would probably replace the glass of wine with a glass of good quality beer. :beer: :cool: But other than that, very informative.
I was gonna say exactly the same thing.

Some must have tools of the trade:
IMG_1177-2.jpg

Ok important lesson just learnt DO NOT FORGET to keep jiffy pellets moist as 2 of my Thai Chilli plants look melted :cry:

:think: Hmmm, I could be reading this wrong but I don't think AJ is much of a Jiffy fan.... :lol:

Gotta be honest though, bloody things are giving me the sh!ts this time around. Last season I thought they were great and that they sure made life easy. This season I got roots growing out the sides and getting caught in the netting and got this damn mold stuff growing on the tops......

:think: Hmmm, I could be reading this wrong but I don't think AJ is much of a Jiffy fan.... :lol:

What about a compromise? I use jiffy 80mm peat pots (with quality seed starter seedling mix) - looks like this
JiffyAndPots.jpg

when seedlings are large enough they can go straight to a larger pot without taking the jiffy out :)

guessing you've seen these before actually - sorry I'm new here :dance: :)

A few threads about jiffys :)
http://www.thehotpepper.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

Edit: Linking to a search result doesn't seem to stay working
Try searching(advanced search) for jiffy in the thread title, there is lots of opinions and info

link giving an error P...

I suppose the jiffy pots are OK but there is still a barrier the roots have to grow through...I know they say the pot disentigrates but have seen some that lasted the whole season...

I want to do everything I can to promote a good root ball through healthy root growth and any hindrance other than the container it is in is a problem IMO...

Jiffy pellets IMO are too hard to control and the netting is another issue

I have found the soil-less seed starting mix works best for me with the way I do things...

seems I have hijacked this thread....sorry about that...

back to your regular scheduled programming...

pretty good video by the way

thanks P...

link giving an error P...

I suppose the jiffy pots are OK but there is still a barrier the roots have to grow through...I know they say the pot disentigrates but have seen some that lasted the whole season...

I want to do everything I can to promote a good root ball through healthy root growth and any hindrance other than the container it is in is a problem IMO...

Jiffy pellets IMO are too hard to control and the netting is another issue

I have found the soil-less seed starting mix works best for me with the way I do things...

seems I have hijacked this thread....sorry about that...

back to your regular scheduled programming...

pretty good video by the way

Hey your not at all, very good comments here. Always looking for better ways to improve. :)

Back