• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing in the white stuff

Hello all. I figured I start a grow log. It will be mostly for notational purposes. I will need much advice for growing on the Canadian prairie. Today marks the arrival of my final seed order. I have my lights all set up but still need a bit of soil mix.

The goal here is to produce peppers that are started indoors but will hit maturity outside. 

Last year I started using pots and achieved moderate success. This year I will expand the collection of pots and start in on constructing hoop housing in April with the hopes of getting the plants outside earlier to take advantage of the long days near the solstice. Last year I was able to get the white jolokia to mature but not anything more pigment. 

I'd like to get into making powders this year. I would like to branch out from making pickles and jelly's. Depending on my successes or lack thereof I may try something more exotic in my 85 day growing window like a Viper. On paper I think it could work...

The list so far:

White Bhut Jolokia
B's Bullet (Chinense Ghost Cross)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom
Orange Ghost (hybrid from Atlantic Pepper Seeds) 
Mustard Trinidad Scorpion
Sugar Rush Peach
Leutshaur Paprika
Urfa Biber (no relation to Justin Bieber)
Yellow Hun replacement known as the brown Freddy's Fryer an annum variety.
Locally climatized variety of orange scotch bonnet (re:not very hot) 
Paper lantern habenero. Still considering this one. 
Bulgarian Carrot
Cherry Bomb

Most of the list is new to me outside the w.jolokia, cherry bomb, and orange s.b. Advice as always is welcome. 
I am not trying to grow the hottest pepper. I am trying to grow the best peppers for my cooking which involves pickling, salsas, and a custom rub blend for ribs. Something to add a little zip. I have a couple of spots one of which is behind a 40ft boxelder which suffers for sun exposure and the other which has sun but suffers from plow winds. Will be prone to dessication and snapping limbs. At least the tomatoes were despite being staked and tied. 

I will apologize in advance for mixing the pepper content with the non pepper related content. I tend to garden in smaller spaces so it all gets scruntched together. For reference last year's pots, last year's gardens and yes I was even dumb enough to try an early variety of corn. Oh the  joys of being ignorant! All done in drought with vermicompost and a bit of boundless optimism. 

Attachments

• IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 36975134_1747372022012144_1672720226547924992_n.jpg
    36975134_1747372022012144_1672720226547924992_n.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 105
Zippy said:
I'm at 50 N. and with dry, but still humid continental climate. Being in the interior there is a lot of variation. I had never gone the distance with fussing over plants before this year. I am undecided if I should do that again given I may not have the time I had this year. Still, it is a good highwater mark of what can be done. Obviously any gains would be in a full on dedicated greenhouse but considering the shade I am operating in, that won't be this property. Plus I'd like to get out into the country as the city has morphed into something I do not recognize and lost its character. 
Which city? I like Canada.

Glad you got to experience the pain/joy of
trying to grow peppers where they are not
supposed to grow  :rofl:

If I wasn't retired, I wouldn't even think about it!

I hope you are able to realize your dream of moving
to more spacious environs. I am pretty envious when
I see some of the awesome properties growers show
in their grow logs.

Thanks. I have some health issues to take care of first. I am located in the Saskatchewan capital, somewhat east of DF in Medicine Hat. I'm far enough east of him that I don't get those chinooks he does. I get hard freezes and no thawing in between usually. The wind speeds I experience in the bottom of the basin are high enough to snap and kill a lot of trees. Typically in winter/early spring. Fruit trees hate it here but I persevere nonetheless. Peppers and or exotic stuff can only be placed out in mid June which limits the grow window. 

We live at 45˚N, and have similar, but milder for sure, weather.
The bugger here is the wildly variable weather in Spring and
Fall. I usually don't plant out until late May or even Mid June.
I'm thinking of going to an all 3-gallon grow next season so I
have at least a chance of moving some plants around during
the cold, rainy snaps. Our winters are way milder than yours.
Just lots of rain, with a few, and sometimes more, freezing days
and nights.

You Canadian growers have my respect!

Look what showed up in the mail..
16 days from Justin to yours truly which isn't that bad considering a border crossing plus the covid. I really should have read the covid alert thingie he put up on getting tracking numbers. I read it afterwards lol. Don't catch the covies!

w2Xbx3u.jpg

Back