• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Jalapenos in the woods

At work we slice hundreds of Jalapenos a week. I decided to keep some of  the seeds this week. Had about 2 coffee cups filled. Took the seeds to a nice open area in the woods behind my house that doesn't get flooded and tossed the seeds everywhere. The area is about 100 square feet. Hope some of these guys grow, even if just a few, would be nice to have some growing as a sort of community garden.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I have often thought about doing that on the family farm I hunt but figured the deer would eat everything. 
Yeah we have boars here and 2 bobcats (or some large cat, too afraid to get close) but they seem to dig up sweet potatoes and leave the berries and stuff alone that are out there, so we will see. Either way, didnt cost me anything do start.

ablizno said:
Yeah we have boars here and 2 bobcats (or some large cat, too afraid to get close) but they seem to dig up sweet potatoes and leave the berries and stuff alone that are out there, so we will see. Either way, didnt cost me anything do start.
Yeah we have bobcats, coyotes, bear, deer and other critters

Good idea. Were the jalapenos red? If not, the seeds might not be viable. One year I saved a bunch of seeds from green jalapenos - because that's how I harvest most of them - and had terrible germination rates. Next time, I saved from super ripe red ones and all the seeds popped.

hottoddy said:
Good idea. Were the jalapenos red? If not, the seeds might not be viable. One year I saved a bunch of seeds from green jalapenos - because that's how I harvest most of them - and had terrible germination rates. Next time, I saved from super ripe red ones and all the seeds popped.
Good tip and very true. I did the same with purple and black and had terrible success, now red only. 

I agree with using seed from red peppers. Maybe stash a few of the greens on the side until they turn red before you harvest the seeds. If you're doing hundreds a week I don't think 5 or 6 would be missed. besides, red jalapenos are pretty tasty on their own.

SavinaRed said:
I'm one a the few who likes the flavor of the red jalapeno over the green. I have 8 plants this year with allot of them getting ready to turn from green to red.

I never pick my japs until they are red unless I really really need one for something and all I have are green. I don't dislike the green...just much prefer the red. But like a big dummy...I didn't even plant any this year  :banghead:

nubster said:

I never pick my japs until they are red unless I really really need one for something and all I have are green. I don't dislike the green...just much prefer the red. But like a big dummy...I didn't even plant any this year  :banghead:
I really only use the green for toppings on pizza, burritos, chili, jambalaya,tacos or verde sauces.

hottoddy said:
They are mostly green but we get red ones in, however, the I left the seeds in the cup at work with a little of the water we used to float them off and threw em in my car, at the end of the day a bunch of them had little roots sticking out of them. I was honestly shocked that the little root tips could come out that fast.

ablizno said:
They are mostly green but we get red ones in, however, the I left the seeds in the cup at work with a little of the water we used to float them off and threw em in my car, at the end of the day a bunch of them had little roots sticking out of them. I was honestly shocked that the little root tips could come out that fast.
Wow I've never seen seeds sprout that quick before. Good luck.

Back