• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Growing Jalapeno's indoors?

I might ditch the idea of keeping my bell peppers going all winter, and "maybe" just prune them back and "overwinter them". 

But I have dreams of keeping my Jalapeno plant growing year round.  I have a small closet, so it wont be far from each wall.  I plan on adding aluminum foil flat against the walls.  I currently have 5 clamp lights, currently have 4 23w 5000k bulbs, and a single 43w 2900k bulb.  I already have ventilation for the closet, as well as plan on getting a small "clamp fan" or something like that to circulate air.

I plan on setting the lights up from multiple angles, so the lower foliage is able to get strong light like the top.

Will I have enough power?  Will I possibly need more?  Any input?  It's hard to find lighting recommendations,  almost all the advice I find is related to seedlings, or growing pot, or hte people who do use CFL's, generally just have them above the plants.

There is so much info on this very subject already posted under growing hot peppers that all you need to do is spend a little time reading through the threads. With your current setup, you might best look at overwintering. If you goal is to continue your grow unabated, then you will need to upgrade, to say the least.

i hope you're growing amazing jalapenos. I don't think the cost of light/nutes/aphids is worth it for a pepper i can buy by the basketfull at the local store all year long.

Haven't tested this out yet, but here's how I'm going to start my hot peppers (not habaneros):

1. Start the germination process in plastic baggies on a heat mat set to 82-85.
  2. When the seeds have germinated and sprouted leaves, place into seed trays underneath a UVB linear light bulb (Zilla brand (for reptiles as I have one laying around) first and then switch to Sunblaster brand) that is set on two stacks of books (cheap, cost effective and I'm able to adjust the height easily). Mind you this will be right next to the window as well so they will be receiving extra light.
  3. Once they outgrow the seed trays I'll take some off of the heat mat and keep some one to see if the temp. will affect the growth greatly. Will top them once they reach 10-12 inches tall to make them easier to manage (will keep some larger). Will also keep a fan on them set to low for at least 8-10 hours a day to provide circulation.

I apologize since this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but I thought my input would be at least kinda useful.

Back