• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Manzano Chilis

Good Morning--

I live in Northern CA, and have two Manzano chili plants I started. They are growing fruit, but the leaves of the plants are turning a mottled yellow.

Could this be a disease? Any suggestions for how to treat this?

Thank you--

Ellie

Got a picture?
It's probably just that they need a shot of fertilizer... what have you been feeding them, what type of soil are they in, and how much water are they getting? Also, what's the weather/temperatures been like?

And welcome. :D

Thanks, Carol!

The temperatures here have been 100-108 for the last two weeks! I have the chilis placed where they only get morning sun, and shade the rest of the day. I planted them in potting soil, have been giving them filtered water, and give them a little epson salts, but I don't know if this is a good idea.

I started the plants from seeds from a manzano from Mexico.

What is the best type of fertilizer to give them?

I water them every night.

Thanks so much--

Ellie

Ellie, watering every night seems a bit much. If they're drying out that often, they may be in too small a pot. However, if they're not drying out that often then you might be washing all the nutrients out of the pot with the constant watering, or the roots might be getting waterlogged.

I only water my plants when the pots seem light for their size or the bottom leaves show signs of a bit of wilting. Try the watering less thing. Also if you've been overwatering and washing nutes out of the soil mix, you may need to fertilize with something with a bit of Nitrogen in it. Try some fish emulsion for a green up. Lately I've been having good results with Neptune's harvest fish emulsion and seaweed emulsion with potted plants that need a kick in the pants.

Back