• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing Passion fruit ?

Got some Passion fruit seedlings, would like to find out more about growing them from someone with info on it.
P1100719.jpg

P1100628.jpg

This is my 2 meter vine

Hi I've been growing one for four years now in a five gallon bucket, the variety that I have is a purple variety, so far though it has not bloomed or produce any fruit. The vine is pretty rampant, and needs suport. In your area it should grow like crazy and you should get some fruit in about three or so years. I have to bring mine in for the winter here which sets it back and might be the reason why it hasn't bloomed or fruited for me. It does need some shade especially in really hot areas, don't give it to much fertilizer or it will just produce lots of growth and no flowers.
Well thats all I know about mine, I hope its of some help, there are several varieties which produce edible fruit, some are better than others. Good luck growing it.
George W.

Hmmm, Read abit about them saying should fruit first year here and died after about 5. Have yet to find them weeds but the dirt they are in has 08/24/24 so will start to add 46/0/0 to get some faster groth. I've planted some Banana Passion fruit seeds but may have to wait one month for seedlings as thats what the Purple Passion fruit took. Also got Blue Passion flower, can eat the fruit on it as well. Will plant tomorrow.

I think I've seen Passion flower, in flower at 6 months or so here. Was told was not the eating kind ? Have read there is lots you can eat, some just are not fun to eat... Had many Mushrooms like that, won't kill ya but not something you'll try and eat less you need to live.

Yes there is some that might not kill you, but there is a couple that will, I can't think of their names right off hand, but their not very common most though do have leaves that are quite toxic. I had read that mine should have fruited the first year also, but mine is now four years old and I have yet to have one flower on it. I would hate to have it die in another year or two with out ever getting any fruit. This year I didn't fertilize it at all to see if it might go ahead and bloom, but so far it hasn't. I do think though that some live a lot longer than reported and probably fruit later also. I have a little wild variety that will fruit in one season, it has small orange fruit that has a sweet musky smell and taste, the leaves also smell kind of like a wet dog when you crush them. It does makes a nice plant if you keep it contained and the flowers are pretty to look at, but if you let birds eat the fruits or just let the fruit fall on the ground you'll have the plant growing every where especially if your in a tropical zone.
George W.

Well they probably can grow 50 feet a year as the older one is growing about 1 foot a week. The seedling are growing very slow. Just put one in a large pot so may take off soon. Very cool plants to have in a hot place

I've got the yellow type, it's flowered & fruited in 2 years. They will fruit in a year in a warmer area, with more sun, (I live in a cloud forest) they need regulated watering, high N, when young, high P, when about a year old, or when you think there's suffiecient growth to flower, mid K, throughout life. They will produce an abundance of fruit. mine is fruiting right now, my morning ritual is to make coffee, walk out back & eat 2 or 3 fruits, followed by a cup of coffee :)

Edit: If the leaves are very wrinkly (deformed) it's a boron defiency, if the flowers fall off without fruiting, it's from over-watering or too much N

Thanks alot for the info as like to know. The big one is growing about a foot a week and now has 9 off shouts. The seedling are very slow growing, but have to many of Purple.. Got 4 types of them now hope can get the Banana passion fruit in as little as a year. if the seedlings will get over a foot tall. Has been over 1 month

Back