• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Peppers and Allergy Concerns

Hi all,

I have a strange question I'm hoping I can get some help with.

I'm using Foxfarm's Ocean Forest potting soil, which has crab and fish meal in the mix, and I want to give some chillies to my mom when they're ready. I'm also feeding the plants with seaweed/fish emulsion fertilizer once a month.

My mom is severely allergic to any type of seafood so I'm worried about giving her peppers. I'm hoping the seafood would be broken down enough by the time they are ready to eat so she can consume them, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for any help with my question.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you make sure to rinse the outer surfaces of the peppers well -- any nutrients taken in by the plant will have already been processed by the plant so will not have any allergens left - the only possible problem I can think of would be the outer surfaces of the peppers if any of the fertilizer is left on them.

I think it'll also depend on how severe 'severely allergic' is.

If her throat will close up if she eats something that was prepared on the same counter as seafood, maybe it's not worth the risk of her eating this batch. If it's just hives / itchy / unpleasant, then a best-effort kind of cleaning is probably good enough.

Of course even that's probably too paranoid, and they should be fine with a washing, but it's a matter of risk / reward.

Back