• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Peppers in Central IL

Greetings. Can anyone give me some advice for growing peppers here in Central IL? I have ordered a variety of peppers that will arrive in mid-May. I have a wide selection - from Bhut Jolokia, to chiltepin, to Habanero's. Can I grow them in pots, if so, what size do I need? Does "full sun" really mean "full sun" or can they have some shade? Any other advice?

Thanks,
Dan

Hey Dan from northern IL. The answers are yes, large, yes. and last question, too late to turn back, I advise you that you will soon be hooked

Hi Dan and welcome...

Yes and Yes to both your questions. I grew about 75 pepper plants in 5 gallon buckets last year. Just make sure that there are drain holes in the pots. Peppers hate wet feet.

All the best Dan and don't worry all the info is on this site you may need and don't worry..Growing peppers is easier than you think
:)

Thanks

Thanks for all the welcomes and replies. My only experience growing peppers in the past was jalapeno plants and chilipiquin down in TX - just popped them in the ground, waters, and enjoyed. I expect it'll be different here in IL. Thanks again. I look forward to learning from y'all. Oh, by the way, any of you ever grown Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Peppers)?

I'm in central IL and the chiles are lovin it! it does get a bit too hot in the summer and the plants need to be in the shade (or else), but it's nice.
Oh wait, I doubt you and I are talking about the same IL.

Back