• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Peppers

Ok I talked to my sister and she said I can grow my peppers at her house (in pots). I am going to growing a couple of different peppers (scotch bonnet, red savina, chocolate habanero, jalopeno, and bhut jolokia) These are the peppers I use the most of (experimenting with the bhut jolokia) The are I will have my pots in gets full sun. Now how do I prevent the different peppers from cross pollenating and contaminating each other?

what the heck is cheese cloth ? & how does that prevent cross pollenating & does that harm the plant while growing ? EX. like not getting enough light or ?

Why is cross-pollination a problem? I would have thought it was something you chilli-heads actively pursue,,,? (Creates new species etc)

huntsman said:
Why is cross-pollination a problem? I would have thought it was something you chilli-heads actively pursue,,,? (Creates new species etc)

NOt if you want to keep the strain as it is. You may grow habs for the burn but if they cross and loose that then pointless

Oh we do we do. We also like to keep some seeds pure for next season.

Some seeds are getting a little pricey. Example the Bhut Jolokia from CPI is $5 for 10 seeds. Nothing that's going to break anyone's bank but if there's a simple way to avoid spending the dough.....:)

Ah, ok -

So if you have a few bushes, say, it would be fine to cross pollinate a few to see what you get, but you'll always keep the strain pure on other bushes, 'eh?

Are new varietals created this way?

Back