• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing Piper Longum (Long Pepper) in grey skied, damp, cool, coastal climate?

I bought some peppers seeds online, and spotted these "Piper peepuloides - Long Pepper" seeds. Well, they were advertised as "Piper Longum", but the package says "Piper Peepluloides" - whatever, I'm getting off track.

I live in Far-Northern, Very Coastal, Damp, Grey, Summer-High-Temps of 70 degrees are a freakin' heat wave, climate.  Seriously, the high temp today was 67, and it was the nicest day for weeks. The good news is that forays below 38 degrees in winter are rare, and short. Usually.

Given that... I'm wondering what my chances are of growing some "long pepper" next year?

I am planning to buy a mini-greenhouse to cover a raised bed next year (well, probably buy it this year... just assemble it next year), but I don't know if that will keep such a hot climate plant warm enough to feel cozy, and give me some pepper-corns?

I've got the seeds, so I'll probably stick 'em in some dirt no matter what, but I would like to manage my expectations! LOL!

Paul F.

You know piper peepuloides is pepper, like salt and pepper, not capsicum pepper? Not trying to be condescending.
I'd imagine since it's amazonian origin it probably won't like your grow climate much  :tear:

No offense taken! I am indeed completely aware of that...   :P
That's why I posted in this here "Other" category. 
I figured, it was only an extra $3 to try something different along with the varieties of peppers-peppers I got seeds for.

I have read it's much easier to grow that a regular piper nigrum. Also I am a big fan of the spice, less flavour but much more fiery than black pepper. I looked into growing them myself a while ago.

It should be possible in a greenhouse, maybe even on a windowsill but no way outdoors. I would try a couple of plants in different places and see if you get lucky, don't get your hopes up though.

This is an undomesticated plant though. Germinating those seed is going to be a pain, most heated geminators are 18C but you will probably need closer to 25C. It may take a month before you see seedlings which poses rotting issues so clean the seeds off with a hydrogen peroxide solution first.

Good luck.

danish;
Many thanks!
I do plan on doing a small greenhouse next year, and I'll reserve a spot for the Piper Longum.

Paul F.

Back