Growing Poblanos

I have a question for those of you who have grown Poblanos.  I will be growing a bunch of super hots this year for my sauces, but not everyone I know can handle my heat levels so I need to tone some of it down.  I love the taste of ghosts and was thinking of cutting them with something like Poblanos since Anchos taste great and the Poblanos look pretty meaty, lots of flesh.  The problem is, I read that Poblanos can take up to 200 days from seed to harvest, which is much longer than many other pepper plants.  Being in Canada, we dont have that long of a growing season so I dont know if I would be able to grow them in time.  So my question is, do they really take that long to grow?  Any other options like a Poblano that I could use (no not jalapenos)?

Mine were a little on the slow side, but they do have a  nice flavor.
I like to use a sweet bell like King of the North and peppers like Jimmy Nardello or Carmen for sauce base. This year, I'm also trying Giant Red Marconi.

I have tried Poblanos a few times with no luck. Either the growing season isn't long enough for them here (zone 6), or they just don't like something I'm doing, or the weather. I have had great results with super hots and sweet bell peppers alongside the poblanos. They just seem finicky.. Any time I have gotten peppers from them it has always been a sad yield. Good luck!

Hit post a little to quick, I have never grown poblanos, but i am showing the same as you on seed to harvest time, here would be some alternatives to consider....

aniehiem--60-80 days
http://sustainableseedco.com/certified-organic-heirloom-vegetable-seeds/organic-pepper-seeds/organic-hot-pepper-seed/organic-anaheim-chili-pepper.html

or

Aconcagua--80 days
http://sustainableseedco.com/heirloom-vegetable-seeds/pe-t/pepper-heirloom-seeds/sweet-peppers/giant-aconcagua-pepper-seeds.html

If you're looking for a meaty pepper with thick flesh, poblanos are probably not a very good choice. I've always found their flesh to be thin and tough, with a thick skin. 
     beerbreath81 and JJJessee both made good suggestions, to which I would add corno di toro. It's a big bull-horn pepper with thick, really sweet flesh. The flavor is really good too, especially when you let them get good and red.

edit: +1 Anaheim

My growing experience with Poblano peppers is that they have about the same growing season as other annuums. But, yields are low. I elect not to grow them since I can easily get them at the Mexican markets for a good price.

I too recommend Anaheim varieties as well as Pasilla and Guajillo as alternatives.

Bob_B said:
My growing experience with Poblano peppers is that they have about the same growing season as other annuums. But, yields are low. I elect not to grow them since I can easily get them at the Mexican markets for a good price.

I too recommend Anaheim varieties as well as Pasilla and Guajillo as alternatives.
I have to agree. I have never had much luck with Poblanos. And for the work it took to get less than a dozen peppers I'd rather buy them.

There are some sweet Baccatums that should grow well up in CA...They tend to take more cool temperatures than other peppers. I grew some Criolla Sella last year that I would call mild and sweet, though maybe a little spicier than Anchos.  Hungarian Paprikas are easy to grow, have a relatively short season, and are aromatic and sweet... you might try the Szegedi or Boldog types. Pimientos like the Sheep Nose, Cheese Peppers or Hungarian Tomato Peppers are fleshy and sweet, have a shorter season than Bell Peppers, and are smaller as well.

200 days? Wow.  This is what I've been growing the last 2 years:

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/POBLANO-L/productinfo/9832/

I've found Poblano plants to be stingy, not a huge producer so I plant 5-6. Last year was just horrible across the board with peppers because of the weather.

I may have some I can send you, 10-15 seeds at most. I'll have to check my stash, oops mean my inventory.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

I didn't experience trouble with my Poblano, great producer up here in Upper Michigan (near Marquette), despite a milder summer than 2012. Whoever quoted that 200 days was pretty close, though. I planted mid-January from seed indoors, and didn't harvest until July through October. They do run a little long in certain climates, though West Virginia should have a little higher UV index than I do up here, so you should be fine. I do like the richer pepper flavor of Poblanos, and the skin isn't nearly as thick as some C.Annuums I've had, especially some of the bird peppers or ornamentals.

Back