• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Reapers Hydro

I have been growing a wide variety of peppers using the same process for awhile now with very good success

Germinate in zip locks 
babies in ebb and flow tables
adults in aero misters

I can get all peppers to grow and produce good fruits in this setup except for Carolina Reapers, and I cant even get one started germinating. I'd say i've gone through 40+ seeds from the big names out there with no luck. I'm starting to believe that my problem is with the supply of seeds and not the methods.

I'm looking for a little help in finding quality seeds and any tips on getting them to germinate

I've tried to germinate in rock wool, soil, starter cubes, bags on fridge, bags on heat mat, just about everything other than sitting on them

Any help would be wonderful, now it's become a quest I need to finish

My reapers from Butch T are sprouting, its only been 8 days. Germing in seed mix at 83f, no pre-soak. I have some from The Hippy Seed Company also. Haven't seen any from those yet, but it's early still.

I have noticed that germinating reaper seeds seems to take a little longer than other varieties, but never had any issues.  I have heard that the hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germinate, but that is not always the case.  96strat has great seeds for sale and I always have nearly 100% germination rate, hit him up on here.  Good luck!

none of my 5 reaper seeds from Jim Duffy (refining fire chiles) have sprouted. its been almost 2 monthes. I think they are just super touchy. 
im curious to see what comes of this. 

I'm watching also.
Have seeds from some vendor here but no luck and seeds from a HP mamber and now on ~65% sprout.

you need 86 degree F air temperature, 50% soil moisture.
presoak seed in dilution of vitamin B1 + Seaweed extract(Ascophyllum nodosum) will help your seedling grow faster, stronger, ... blah blah blah

lek said:
you need 86 degree F air temperature, 50% soil moisture.
presoak seed in dilution of vitamin B1 + Seaweed extract(Ascophyllum nodosum) will help your seedling grow faster, stronger, ... blah blah blah

:rofl:

Total newbie but I'll chime in anyway. Started my seeds in an Aerogarden Bounty with the seed starter last Tuesday. I have 5 pods for Reapers with 2 seeds in each. One sprouted today (missed the birth) and, looking down into the holes there is growth in each. Seeds were from pepperlover at the end of last year, as are all the varieties in this Aerogarden batch. I initially tried the wet paper towel/zip lock after I purchased them, same temperature in the house (though, admittedly, the LED gives off a little heat) and I got zero growth. Probably just a newbie mistake but my yellow ghosts in the paper towel had a 70% germination rate.

charlesquik said:

But you  ended up with jalapeno ?  :lol:

is this what you called jalapeno?  :rolleyes:

32146689513_bc786f5916_b.jpg

lek said:

is this what you called jalapeno?  :rolleyes:

32146689513_bc786f5916_b.jpg

You must be kind of new to the community because pepperjoe is a hit or miss..

People around here avoid him like the plague because the seeds are never what they are supposed to be. 

His website got a good ranking on google so he attract a lot of newcomer but you should shop your seed somewhere else.

A good place in europe is semillas  https://www.semillas.de/shop_en/
Around america there is pepperlover.com  and many other.

charlesquik said:

You must be kind of new to the community because pepperjoe is a hit or miss..

People around here avoid him like the plague because the seeds are never what they are supposed to be. 

His website got a good ranking on google so he attract a lot of newcomer but you should shop your seed somewhere else.

A good place in europe is semillas  https://www.semillas.de/shop_en/
Around america there is pepperlover.com  and many other.

You may not know that I bought seeds from almost every reputable vendors. e.g. semillas, pepperlover, whitehotppers, fataliiseeds,  ... etc

now i have more than 300 pepper varieties on hands.  yeah I'm newcomer :party: ... LOL

32033155352_e41cf50af3_b.jpg

32143296536_a2aa3dcd20_b.jpg

This was in no way to offend you, just giving out information.

lek said:

You may not know that I bought seeds from almost every reputable vendors. e.g. semillas, pepperlover, whitehotppers, fataliiseeds,  ... etc

now i have more than 300 pepper varieties on hands.  yeah I'm newcomer :party: ... LOL

32033155352_e41cf50af3_b.jpg

32143296536_a2aa3dcd20_b.jpg

Back