• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing straight from a grow bag instead of using pots or tubs ?

Has anyone ever transplanted a chilli straight into a grow bag and grown outdoors ? Thinking of giving it a try instead of using pots and tubs . Have 3 greenhouses to fill with pots and tubs , and am going to try growing the surplus plants outside in growbags . Can anybody see problems arising from this ? Maybe will put 2 plants in a 15-20 litre growbag .

I have never used them but have seen mixed results with the grow bags. I think it depends on a few factors. Good soil,proper weather and the right nutes you can grow peppers in anything.

Jamie

Last year I grew in grow bags the 7 gallon size, but this year I will only have 3 plants in 5 gallon bags they worked great. I used some rocks on the bottom of the bags to keep them stable, but they handled the weather just fine we only had a tough wind once and they prevailed the plants where not as lucky. I tried putting two Limon plants into a bag not very productive, so I trimmed one branch and will be moving it to a new bag. Like Jamie said it depends on just different factors.
Here is my one of my plants very healthy and grew about three feet and never tipped over.
DSCN0040.jpg

Good luck

to me there is a definite advantage to grow bags...they promote "air-pruning" of the roots....theory is that instead of the roots circling the container when it gets to the edge, they will fork and send roots off in different directions...

as far as where you use them, that is up to you...your weather dictates whether they will grow well or not...

here are some 2nd year TS plants in 10 gallon "Smart Pots" about June this past year...

IMG_0864.jpg

I think there would be a difference growing in a plastic bag as opposed to a fabric pot.

Fabric would have to be better for oxygen transfer.

sure dont forget to put holes in the bottom of my super plastic cheap bag ;)

the question is... does it really need oxygen in the soil?
wont the insects, bacteria, and so on provide all needed?

during the day plants consume CO2 and during night they change to Oxygen...
maybe they can live easyli in a closed but well drained medium.

Plants' roots need to breathe just as the rest of the plant does. Plants consume oxygen at all times, not just at night.

Then again, I'm not a biologist, so I might just be talkin' out my ass. I believe most of the oxygen used in the daytime is reserved from photosynthesis.

i have seen a small test with a mouse and a plant in a closed container.... as long as there was lights the plant was in oxygen creation mode and provided plenty of oxygen to the mouse... so the setup was "balanced"... when they took off the light some time afterward the mouse died due to a lack of oxygen....

im not an expert but as long as tehre is some holes in the bag it will breath enough ! (anyway a plant in a plastic pot offer the same conditions...
if tehre is too much hole or micro hole it will just dry faster...

im sure the activity in the soil offer plenty of food and the right "gas" for the plant to live nicely.

Back