• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Upside down peppers

There is an expanding sponge like piece that fits around the the base of the plant and then it all fits through the hole at the bottom. The rootball eventually gets big enough to add support too.

gardenkiller said:
I am guessing that the rootball is much bigger than the hole for the stem so that holds the plant in. Not entirely sure though.

i didnt use the sponge potawie talked about with my tomatoes and it was that the roots and stem got big enough nothing came out.

here is a link to a pic of mine last year.... no tomatoes in the picture though.
Code:
http://koolguymike.bravehost.com/others.html

good luck potawie. how is that white ammo for taste anyway?

almost forgot, trick i use to get the plant throught the hole is ROLL it in a newspaper and poke the newspaper through and once through just remove the paper. you can roll a nice sized plant up and get it through a pretty small hole.

Pam said:
How would hanging it upside down stop squirrels?

From the picture it doesn't look like they can make it from the string to the plant. That vinyl "bag" looks too slippery to climb down.

very cool for tomatoes, but I HAVE NEVER LOST A PEPPER TO A SQUIRREL. Nor have I had to use stakes, ties, cloth, or anything else. For peppers, I would have to say that it is just a novelty. (and that you will not get good enough sun light)
I do respect trying new things, so good luck! but I am very skeptical.

I don't have a squirrel problem, but my neighbour who I give plants to always has his plants masequered by the buggers. They destroyed a beautiful Filius Blue the other day.

cheezydemon said:
... but I HAVE NEVER LOST A PEPPER TO A SQUIRREL.

I can't say that I have lost a pepper itself to a tree rat, just the whole freakin plant. I give them almost the whole yard to bury their nuts, yet they insist on hiding them in my pots. Digging away to bury their cashe of nuts, whole plants are uprooted and tossed aside on the ground.

well if you have tree rat problems, this will solve it :hell:

condor_angle_lg.jpg

can anyone tell me what the name of the pepper plant that is in the corner pic with the upside down pepper plant? i recently bought one because of the color of the plant itself and just wanted some info on it. thanks

i can't seem to find it but there is a pic of a potted upside down pepper plant and in the bottom left hand coner the is what seems to be a black looking pepper plant. I recently bought one and the peppers are small and round, the leaves are either a very dark purple to black color, and the farmer that i purchased it from said that it wasn't too good for eating b/c it full of seeds. But i can't seem to find that pic yet

I am almost positive you are refering to the Black Pearl which is a very cool looking plant. Wish I had one!

By the way......WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

Back