• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growth in caves

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
I had the day off today, so I was flipping channels when I chanced upon a special on underground structures. One section was about a cave in Tennessee. Someone had built a house over the entrance such that it was hidden behind an inocuous looking closet door in the garage that was actually a steel blast door, requiring a switch to open.

Inside the cave, the owner had set up a massive underground hydroponic system for growing pot, complete with grow lights, water pumps, and an HVAC unit to keep the temperature in the cave at a balmy 82-85 degrees. It was spread out over the equivalent of 2 football fields worth, so to do all that, the owner must've shelled out quite a lot of dough. What tipped off the police was that the Utility Company had noticed that quite a lot of electricity was being siphoned off near the home, so the police got a search warrant.

That being said though, and granted, it'd probably cost a pretty penny to set up and maintain such an enterprise, do any of you guys think growing peppers underground would be a good option?

I had the day off today, so I was flipping channels when I chanced upon a special on underground structures. One section was about a cave in Tennessee. Someone had built a house over the entrance such that it was hidden behind an inocuous looking closet door in the garage that was actually a steel blast door, requiring a switch to open.

Inside the cave, the owner had set up a massive underground hydroponic system for growing pot, complete with grow lights, water pumps, and an HVAC unit to keep the temperature in the cave at a balmy 82-85 degrees. It was spread out over the equivalent of 2 football fields worth, so to do all that, the owner must've shelled out quite a lot of dough. What tipped off the police was that the Utility Company had noticed that quite a lot of electricity was being siphoned off near the home, so the police got a search warrant.

That being said though, and granted, it'd probably cost a pretty penny to set up and maintain such an enterprise, do any of you guys think growing peppers underground would be a good option?

one, thats cool as hell.
Two he was probably growing pot in there.
Three: unless you live in canada or something were your growing season is really short, no point.

Two he was probably growing pot in there.
Three: unless you live in canada or something were your growing season is really short, no point.

Yeah, he was definitely growing pot in there. When the police raided his place, they found several hundred massive plants, and was making a rather tidy profit. I've known for a long time that some parts of the Appalachian Mountains are great for growing pot, and he said the reason behind it was because police were also using planes and choppers to scan the area with FLIR since pot plants have a unique heat signature compared to the native plants. With the limestone in the area, even with all the grow lights, HVAC and every other piece of electrical equipment down there, the heat signature was nil.

The cool thing was, that after they raided and seized the place, a Midwest cheesemaking company bought the property and used to to store their cheeses.

Sad part is a "random electrical fire" burned the house down few years ago. The blast door and cave are still there but the awesome house is gone. Many people say the police burned it to keep someone else from doing the same thing. I would say its not very smart for peppers mainly due to the cost. It would just cost too much to keep it running.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]A[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] giant cave with the great [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Tennessee [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]limestone water and easy to control temperatures ? Who needs light [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]or Weed ? (Or peppers for that matter!) You've got the perfact place to ferment mash and make Tennessee Moonshine. [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :drunk: [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background]

Damned straight for peppers.
Total control of light, temperature and humidity?
If you could afford the electricity cost, I can't see how it wouldn't be a winner.

Bonus: The moonshine gets it's own room.

I actually read about it more or less lets see if I can find it
here: http://ssqq.com/archive/vinlin19.htm
and here: http://sparkreport.net/2009/03/the-full-story-behind-the-great-tennessee-pot-cave/

I remeber seeing that program. They even had a little escape tunnel cut. Was some serious money that went into that operation.

Wasn't that the one someone else bought and they are doing cheese in now ?

I remeber seeing that program. They even had a little escape tunnel cut. Was some serious money that went into that operation.

Wasn't that the one someone else bought and they are doing cheese in now ?

Yes, a Midwestern cheese company bought it to process and store their cheeses, since they determined the temperature & humidity levels were perfect for cheese making & storage

Back