• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Guajillo vs. Kashmiri Mirch

I've been trying to source some Kashmiri Mirch seeds with very little success (don't know why they're so hard to find here in the USA)...but I was told that Guajillo is an acceptable substitute...I've never tried this variety and just wanted to know if anyone has done a comparison of the two chillies....(got some Kashmiri Mirch awhile back from a friend of mine when she visited her family India and didn't bother to try and grow any from seed....I'm kicking myself now!):doh:

I had Guajillo, and had peppers from India. they're not the same.
First of all they look different, so presentation-wise it won't be the same.
Now about what matters.
The Indian peppers have a more unique fruity flavor, and very intense scent.
I guess some peppers could substitute the scent, and some the flavor, but you'll need several different peppers.

Omri said:
I had Guajillo, and had peppers from India. they're not the same.
First of all they look different, so presentation-wise it won't be the same.
Now about what matters.
The Indian peppers have a more unique fruity flavor, and very intense scent.
I guess some peppers could substitute the scent, and some the flavor, but you'll need several different peppers.

Thanks Omri, I had my doubts about Guajillo.....since I cook a lot of Indian food, do you recommend any peppers that might be similar to Kashmiri in taste and color that I might be able to find seeds for in the USA?...I can't find these things, even in the market, anywhere!:(

I had Guajillos. I was very happy with them. It produced like crazy. They were fairly large down facing ripening to red paprika type peppers. Good flavor, but not too different from a bell.

I need to try Guajillos in some Mexican dishes I have been wanting to make....because I hear they are quite good. For the Indian dishes, the flavor and aroma of the Kashmiri pepper (especially for Goan dishes) is really hard to beat.....I might try MSB brand's Kashmiri chilli powder and see if it tastes similar to the ones I got from India.

Daisy7117 said:
Thanks Omri, I had my doubts about Guajillo.....since I cook a lot of Indian food, do you recommend any peppers that might be similar to Kashmiri in taste and color that I might be able to find seeds for in the USA?...I can't find these things, even in the market, anywhere!:(
There's a thread on Galore about Kashmiri.
Apparently some were able to find Bedgi peppers in their local Indian shops.
Not sure about the taste, but it's worth a try.
You can substitute the scent with Sankeshwari pepper, although you'll need several of them to replace the one of a Kashmiri pepper (there's a reason why Kashmiri are so wanted).
Another pepper similar to the Sankeshwari is the Sha Te, an African version of the Sankeshwari. a bit longer.

Of course all of them need to be dried first.
The dry pods are shiny and have a more concentrated scent.

The greatest pepper grower in the world I'm not, but I sure do know how to eat and cook them. ;)

Ok, thanks for the chili recommendations, and also the info about reimer seeds...I did get some Kashmiri chilli seeds for a grower in England and am hoping that they turn out to be the real thing....I also located some distributors of dried, packaged peppers, but I don't think that their seeds are viable since they usually freeze-dry the peppers....I'll just have to wait and see. :-)

Daisy7117 said:
Ok, thanks for the chili recommendations, and also the info about reimer seeds...I did get some Kashmiri chilli seeds for a grower in England and am hoping that they turn out to be the real thing....I also located some distributors of dried, packaged peppers, but I don't think that their seeds are viable since they usually freeze-dry the peppers....I'll just have to wait and see. :-)
lol Woody? :lol:

oh,no .....the secrets out....well, if these seeds don't turn out to be Kashmiri, maybe I'll bother Woody for some of his seeds, if he wants to trade.

Back