powder-flake Guatemalan Insanity Pepper (GIP) Smoked Serrano

stettoman

Extreme Member
I've been interested in doing a memorial grow of the Serrano that our lost friend GIP made his famous smoked Serrano powder with.

Parusing through GIP's past glogs today, I think I discovered the variety:

https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/serrano-tampiqueno

I don't know if Sandia was his seed source, It may have been

http://pepperlover.com/Drying-Serrano?search=serrano

Because he mentioned both names in separate glogs. The Pepperlover's site is always out of what I seek, and Sandia seems rarely out of stock, and the Serrano Tampiqueño seems like something GIP would gravitate to...

Now, if I can find what wood he smoked these with...

Any help?

stettoman

Extreme Member
Boss, if you would, move this thread to a more appropriate forum...This isn't a "grow" topic.

OK, this will be my first attempt at a smoked powder deserving of the GIP's legacy.

The Serranos grew spectacularly and will, if the weather holds, give me 5 to 10 times this amount. I'm hoping to pick some green ones to make my wife some lime-based hotsauce, but that's another topic.

First pickin'
First batch 9-10-21.jpg

I know it doesn't look like that much, but, once they're in the tub,

Scrubemup 9-10-21.jpg

They get all shiny and fat.

Then we slice and tray:

Slice 9-10-21.jpg

The placenta/pith is strong with these pods, will promote a spicy powder (yes, I ate one, dammit, I bet Andy did too).

Smokin' smokin'...The wood. I just learned recently that smokewoods are rarely 100% the variety labelled. Some are as low as 40%. That's cheating. I hope these are a higher percentage, they smell very different in the bags.

Smokewood 9-10-21.jpg

And the "facilities", as it were. My bag of B&B was down to crumbs, so I laid a bed of Fogo and poured the B&B atop o' it.

The Smokin' Kit 9-10-21.jpg

OK, let's squirt some lighter fluid on and---

HA! Not really...

No. Lighter. Fluid. 9-10-21.jpg

Oh yeah

Yeah. Oh yeah. 9-10-21.jpg

I tried to keep the heat at 200F, but there was some 150 and 230 in there at times. It was all good, smoked for 25 minutes each tray, most pods didn't even wrinkle much, yet the result should be good. GIP good? I'll be happy with close.

Trayed up 2 9-10-21.jpg

3 dehydrator trays, no idea how much powder this might make, but this is only batch one. I grind with a Cuisinart coffee grinder, am thinking of spending the coin for more volume. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Oh, and yeah! This is to be shared!! I'm going to get a box of shaker bottles and then will pass some around to those willing to be honest about my result.

God bless you, Andrew Rider, you are so missed...

stettoman

Extreme Member
First batch out of the dehydrator.
About half a quart dried. Powdered?
20210913_104639.jpg

And guests for breakfast. Little late for a spotted fawn. They do like the apples!
20210913_104716.jpg

I'd like to have all the peppers done before grinding for more consistency. I have no clue to Andrew's process, but I wish there was a scratch & sniff function, these smell ridiculous good!!

More ripening, pray for unchanged weather...

stettoman

Extreme Member
That color is awesome! Rich burgundy! Looks like some smoke there, the timing seemed to work out?

Oh yeah, the smoke seems perfect. And I love what smoking does for color! I smoked some LO Thai pods a couple seasons back that also deepened to an unbelievable umber.

I'm waiting for more to ripen before another harvest. Thank God for this long, warm end of the grow!!

stettoman

Extreme Member
A second pull of ripe Serranos. Let's pray there's time for a third. Some of these are in various stages of ripening, I'll paper bag them for a couple days before smoking again...
Serrano 2nd pull 9-21-21.jpg

There's a lot of green Serranos still out there, I'll be making a lime sauce with them if nothing else...Anyone have experience with smoked GREEN Serrano powder?