• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment Guy Fieri's & pepper salsa.

Mild heat a 2 at best. Despite stating that it is a 7 pepper salsa the overwhelming taste is chipotle. Two of the peppers are bell ones. Far down the ingredient list is, in order, Guajillo chile peppers, Habanero, Chile De Arbol, Chilaca and Black Pepper. I enjoyed this on eggs, rice and baked potatos.
It has a slightly chunky texture. You can smell the peppers but there is no mouth burn or runny nose or other indications of heat other than a slight taste. Purchased at Big Lots!

I tried this and some of his other branded stuff at the Fabulous Food Show when it was here. Not impressed with flavor or heat. Of course, the BP is a factor for me, but I was trying to focus on the flavor outside of that. Just so-so, IMO.

I think that I would pass on this one. It just got to have some kick, but doesn't need to go over the top either.

I wonder about professional foodies like this - clearly they're capitalizing on their name, which I get. But don't they consider the ramifications on their brand / credibility if they put out a mediocre product?

One thing I've noticed is that when someone loves salsa/hot sauce, they are *really* passionate about it. Almost aggressively so. lol

So when you get a big-name professional food critic or chef or just "guy on the food network", the bar would seem to be set pretty high...the reviews I've seen here and other places haven't been the most flattering - not horrible, just nothing saying they're special in any way.

And I think in places like CA and southern states fresh salsa is available, so it's a pretty tough market to compete with - if you're gonna try to get me to buy a canned/jarred salsa it better be a HELL of a lot tastier than the salsa fresca I can get at the local taqueria or even the fresh salsas at Safeway/Lucky's.

Sounds like Guy isn't bringing his "A" game to an industry that's expecting exactly that. Way too many good salsas out there to waste my time or money on a jar of "C+" or "B-" product.

If he's just in it to cash a check, I get it, but it's kinda sad.

Must have just waived the habanero pepper over the mixing bowl.
:rofl:

He's more "just" a personality to me. If you look at "his" recipes on foodnetwork.com, there are few (relative to the other chefs') and nothing really jumps out as fantabulous - the quotes because I'm not even sure he came up with them. The personality makes him a GREAT host for something like the DD&D, but he doesn't really come across as a chef to me. I get FN's push to have all their hosts also cooking and selling stuff, but meh. I wasn't even overly impressed with the knives with his name on them. Sometimes a great host just has to be a great host.

well, it's not what you know, it's who.................................

I wonder about professional foodies like this - clearly they're capitalizing on their name, which I get. But don't they consider the ramifications on their brand / credibility if they put out a mediocre product?

One thing I've noticed is that when someone loves salsa/hot sauce, they are *really* passionate about it. Almost aggressively so. lol

So when you get a big-name professional food critic or chef or just "guy on the food network", the bar would seem to be set pretty high...the reviews I've seen here and other places haven't been the most flattering - not horrible, just nothing saying they're special in any way.

And I think in places like CA and southern states fresh salsa is available, so it's a pretty tough market to compete with - if you're gonna try to get me to buy a canned/jarred salsa it better be a HELL of a lot tastier than the salsa fresca I can get at the local taqueria or even the fresh salsas at Safeway/Lucky's.

Sounds like Guy isn't bringing his "A" game to an industry that's expecting exactly that. Way too many good salsas out there to waste my time or money on a jar of "C+" or "B-" product.

If he's just in it to cash a check, I get it, but it's kinda sad.

:rofl:
I'll have to try the salsa fresca at Dominick's, they were bought out by Safeway and I am pretty sure they have it. I usually have someone do my grocery shopping for me so if I don't specify the brand it is hit or miss. I tried it so you don't have to!

He's no Martin Yan
I <3 Yan Can Cook. I used to watch it with my dad all the time.

I'll have to try the salsa fresca at Dominick's, they were bought out by Safeway and I am pretty sure they have it. I usually have someone do my grocery shopping for me so if I don't specify the brand it is hit or miss. I tried it so you don't have to!

totally appreciate the review - always great when you can save the disappointment of buying a mediocre product by reading about someone else who's already done it. :cheers:

I checked out his knives sold through the food network. I almost puked when I saw the price. Even if they were all that great, I couldn't get past the Nascar-type look (no Offense to Nascar fans).

His restaurants food is mediocre at best as well - that is also in consideration its on the East Coast

Edit - My speeling went out the window on this ;)

Ok, Big Lots had his 5 pepper salsa for $1.70 so I tried a jar. Whoever said if there's habanero it must have been waived over the vat was spot on. Reading the description I expected to burn a little at least. The flavor's good but the heat description is a fraud.

Mild salsa at best. Not even a Med. the Ms Renfreros was way better/hotter/more flavorful.

I did try the tritip he's got at Costco now - herb encrusted rosemary - it was quite good. Best I've had of any of his products. But let's face it - how hard is it to make a god tritip marinade for a vacuum sealed bag? I like it as much as the Morton's - Morton's is a better flavor but the Guy Fieri ones are larger cuts of meat.

Back