• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Gypsum as a calcium source for container plants

How does one go about using gypsum as a source of calcium for potted plants? I have a small amount left from my homebrewing days, but I'm unsure of the best application method. Should it be mixed in dry with the soil, or mixed with water and applied to the foliage, or.....? Searching has brought up the use of gypsum several times here and on the Google, but I can't seem to find any further info on potted plant use, other than a general recommendation to use it.

Thanks for any info!

Nothing? I've been searching some more, but it seems like some hits are on pot-growing sites, which I don't want associated with my IP address. Anything on "legal" sites seems to pertain to outdoor use as a clay soil conditioner, which isn't quite my application.

I wouldn't put much until you have tested it with and without to see the effect.
Too much gypsum can inhibit growth as well according to what I saw in this article with a cursory reading. ;)

http://www.fao.org/d...3e/t0323e05.htm

Sunshine Mix #4 ingredients

"Formulated with Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, coarse perlite, starter nutrient charge (with Gypsum) and dolomitic limestone."

Source: http://www.sungro.com/products_displayProduct.php?product_id=8&brand_id=1

Gypsum is a commonly used source of Sulfur and Calcium for container grown plants.

Ok, so just a direct application to soil? I'm not sure if I really need to use it or not, but if I do, it would be nice to just use what I already have on hand.

Should be the same as for planting outside... which in your case, since the surface area of the soil at the top of the pot is measured in square inches instead of square feet, should be roughly proportionate... a level teaspoon would probably be more than enough per pot.

In all honesty I would pass and just get a bottle of cal-mag. 1 quart will last a LONG time and it's only $20 bucks. I'm sure your source of gypsum is fine, but not knowing the amounts and just using it blindly is taking a risk and may end up resulting in a bad yield for the year of which you can't start over.

I wouldn't risk my plants and an entire season just to save a few bucks.

In all honesty I would pass and just get a bottle of cal-mag. 1 quart will last a LONG time and it's only $20 bucks.

That was plan A, but I haven't found it locally yet. Also work has been slow, so saving $20 would be a very good thing right now.

Actually, I'm not even sure I need the extra calcium yet, I've just got a few plants with the ol' "wrinkly leaf" thing. I'm leaning toward just leaving them alone, but I am going to have to re-pot soon anyways.

I appreciate the responses, thank you!

Yeah I doubt it would really do a lot of harm, but I treat my plants like they where my kids and emplor a zero risk environment for them.

In all honesty I would pass and just get a bottle of cal-mag. 1 quart will last a LONG time and it's only $20 bucks.

That was plan A, but I haven't found it locally yet. Also work has been slow, so saving $20 would be a very good thing right now.

Actually, I'm not even sure I need the extra calcium yet, I've just got a few plants with the ol' "wrinkly leaf" thing. I'm leaning toward just leaving them alone, but I am going to have to re-pot soon anyways.

I appreciate the responses, thank you!

You could crush some egg shells in a coffee grinder and mix it into the soil for some supplemental calcium I suppose.
It would be slow acting compared to a liquid like Cal-Mag but if money is tight I totally understand my friend. Our gas is $4.35 gallon so I know about money being tight. ;)

I would leave them alone as well. I think the wrinkles are something other than calcium regardless of what I have read from some sources.
Some of my plants look deficient but I give them what I think may help but do it gently so as to not over-care and harm them more.
These are a pretty hardy plant I think for the most part.

Back