• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gypsum question

Have a bucket with crumbled drywall that ended up out in the rain. It has a couple inches of water which the gypsum has leached into. Hate to just drain it off. If I add it to watering can for application what would be a good ratio? Would be for inground mater and pepper feeding. Ph is +/- 7 that's why I want to go gypsum route. Any thoughts? Thanks.

jeeze. there is no such thing as synthetic drywall. its a minned mineral.

im sure the drywall is fine for use. they add some shit to drywall, but its not fire retardants. its some sort of agent for making the wet drywall flow better onto the sheets of paper.

there could be residual paint and spackle though. some spackles contain pva and other junk in small amounts.

If it applies, I looked at what that newer quick dry drywall mud has in it and it would warrant more study if I were in your situation. I doubt it would be poisonous or anything like that. It could be something you don't necessarily want in your garden soil. One ingredient read like it might be a salt. Not sodium chloride but another.
Really, if it's a home building material you'll be hard pressed to find anything toxic after the installation process. Except benzine ;)

Synthetic gypsum, a form of coal ash produced by the scrubbing process that removes sulfur dioxide from the emissions of coal-fired power plants. Nearly half of American drywall is now made with this synthetic product, known as flue gas desulfurized gypsum or FGD gypsum.
What I have is clean cutoffs, no paint, paper removed crumbled down to .50"-.75".

you are right, i just looked into this and hey thats interesting.

its not from coal ash though, but from the reaction of sulfur dioxide with calcium hydroxide.

unless you consider sulfur dioxide  to be ash?

lol its sad that we burn so much coal that we can make half of our drywall from it...

Back