• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

H2O2 question

Ok here is the backstory.

I've got some Cow Horn in a net pot with coco, suspended above a DWC resivoir. In an effort to keep things organic, the nute mix is a blend of Neptunes Harvest fish emulsion at half strength and a homemade seaweed tea at a 1:16 ratio.

I'm getting a little slime at the top of the bucket, and I know H2O2 will combat that, bit what will it do to the bio herd I'm trying to create?

the h202 will prob kill all the good stuff. its been said the completely organic in hydro is tough to pull off! you should also add aqua shield. i make a mycochorazie tea for my soil plants and a pour a little over the base of my hydro plants to innoculate the roots. do some reading on weed forums for good info on organic hydro and how to rid the brown slime

Yep, tried this myself earlier this year. Fish emulsion + hydro = no worky for me. Also, the smell got to be absolutely awful and I had to clean my airstones daily just to keep it bubbling. I switched to some organics specifically made for hydro and things worked a little better but I never had great success.

Other than the slime, which isn't all that bad, everything is working fine for me. No clogging, healthy plants, the whole thing is doing great.

Keep a close eye on that slime if you keep going organic as it will suffocate your roots in time. What are the temp iof yyour water?

Probably higher that they're supposed to be. I've never checked. I'm sort of winging this, kind of a just for funsies sort of thing. If nothing good happens, so bet it.

All I've done is use straight tap water with a half dose of fish emulsion, plus a little seaweed tea. No ph correction, no ppm readings. Just a fun little experiment.

ppm reading not such a big deal, but the PH is. my tap water is at 8 and peppers like it between 5.5-6.5 for efficient nute absorption. but just wing it and let us know how it goes.

So far so good, plants are green, roots developing steadily. My water comes from a dug well, so I'm surety ph is pretty neutral, and my fish emulsion has a lower ph, so I think it works itself out in the wash. Hard to tell not knowing though.

One good beneficial bacteria you can add is trichoderma, which is said to counteract pythium - hydro growers' biggest waterborne enemy. But I usually only use it with straight hydro.

There are a few different product mixes that contain both trichoderma and myco, but they are relatively expensive. The few times I've grown bioponically (with compost tea) I didn't really see much of a difference between using the beneficial bacteria vs. not using it.

photo1-4.png

photo2-4.png

Here is the hydro plant(s). I have three seedlings in there at the moment. I'm kind of thinking of trying to graft them all together into one super plant. Like I said, I'm just screwing around for fun, so why not?

Back