• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Habanada

Grew a bunch of habanadas last year. They aren't on the growlist this year for a reason. If you do grow them, pick them when they turn peachy not, orange. They are sweet and grassy when fully ripened :confused: . 

Peppermafia said:
My habanada x aji delight is the healthiest looking plant in the garden. Here is what the flowers look like.

Did u pollinate the aji delight with pollen from the habanada?

Ok sweet. I wasn't sure. You said habanada x aji delight, but looked like a baccatum dominant flower.
So it would be Aji Delight x Habanada. 
Female is always listed first in the cross.

Will be interesting to see if there is any heat in those fruits.

I thought I read the spots on a baccatum flower are a dominant Gene so either way it is crossed the flower should look like a baccatum in the f1. There should be no heat. This year I am crossing a aji jobito with a cap 455 to get another heat less cross between baccatum and Chinese.

You are correct. I just ment that it was very open and flat. I assumed that if the habanada was the mother it would have a more campanulate structure.
Seeing those blue anthers with the corolla is cool.

Peppermafia said:
I thought I read the spots on a baccatum flower are a dominant Gene so either way it is crossed the flower should look like a baccatum in the f1. There should be no heat. This year I am crossing a aji jobito with a cap 455 to get another heat less cross between baccatum and Chinese.
The baccatum flower spots gene is not dominant at all, if you check out my Lemon Drop x Burning Bush thread you'll see. One out of three plants have the spots the other two are pendulum style Habanero flowers. 

It is a dominant gene, just not THE dominant gene.
Chinense peppers also have dominant genes and it turns out that in your hybrid, there are different combinations that are being expressed.
If you look at the tepin x lemondrop hybrid,  you will see that the offspring expresses the corolla spots.
As a side note corolla spots sometimes fade in intense sunlight.

Back