• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habanero Approach Grafting Project Log

I've got a habanero plant that I started last spring and am over wintering.

5d6w42.jpg

As you can see, it has no main stem above the soil (pretty sure I planted it too deep when I first got it), but instead has 15 or so stems coming out of the soil, and some of them are fairly weak.  

I've been reading about different grafting techniques lately and came up with the idea of trying to use approach grafting on this guy.  The basic premiss is to take some of the outer stems and graft them to some of the more sturdy interior stems.  Then over time graft the interior stems against each other, where the end product is a habanero plant that looks like a pretzel gone crazy.

This is what it looks like now, before I start messing with it.  Should be a fun project

ixzc3k.jpg

So I'm having trouble keeping this guy healthy indoors, so I haven't tried anything yet.  I think I'm going to skip this experiment and just see if I can put him outdoors when it warms up and see if he comes back to good health.  Too bad.  I was looking forward to trying this out.

you could always prune back the vegetation a little to relieve some of the stress on the plant system as a whole. So the plant doesn't have to work so hard to maintain as much foliage.

Just don't prune too much. This should help the plant handle the lower lumens of being indoors as well.. I would say remove about 25% of the foliage.

just a suggestion

Yea, I did what you recommended abut 6 weeks ago.  Its seemed pretty happy about it for a few weeks, but then started drooping again.  I'll maybe trim up a little bit more and see what happens

Back