• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habanero leaf curl, any suggestions ?

Hi pepper heads

Only my habaneros are getting this leaf curl I would like to get this under control and also make sure it doesnt affect my other plants any suggestions ?

Attachments

• 48F72304-13F3-465C-918F-41CA7AE6D0BB.jpeg
    48F72304-13F3-465C-918F-41CA7AE6D0BB.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 127
Two things that I can think of...

Calcium deficiency
Mites

Check under the leaves for mites. I highly recommend getting a handheld microscope and inspecting the underside of the smallest leaves since that's where they like to hang out. I'm currently battling a heavy broad mite infestation that I mistook for nutrient deficiency. Hope you don't have mites.

I’ll look into the mite things I need to google what to look for as for the calcium what would you recommend organic if possible

HeatMiser said:
Two things that I can think of...

Calcium deficiency
Mites

Check under the leaves for mites. I highly recommend getting a handheld microscope and inspecting the underside of the smallest leaves since that's where they like to hang out. I'm currently battling a heavy broad mite infestation that I mistook for nutrient deficiency. Hope you don't have mites.
   Can't ever remember having a nutrient deficiency ever, as I always start with a good media mix in my containers. Most all my problems come from pests and improper watering, compacted media, to small a container, furry critters...

Have to agree with ya, sure looks like some type of pest, could be broad mites. Without a pic, 12oclock straight down into new growth area of plant, hard confirm it with just the op's first pic...

But other pests can produce similar damage, without scoping the leafs @ least to 40x, will never know for sure... But does it really matter..? As the solution is most always the same for us small garden guys.  NEEM, in a soaking drenching dripping spray, this will rescue most plants from almost all soft bodied sucking pests.

When leafs are curled, stunted deformed new growth, especially in the bud tips with an ingrown type look, give broad mite damage a unique look that once one experiences it and figures it out, not soon to forget that signature mite damage 'look'...

LaHeat,  Neem spray, then spray again in a few days. First prune off all damaged areas as it will never heal and has toxins from the pests that continue to do damage for days/weeks after they are all dead. Burn or bury the infested clippings. Within 1-3 days of the spray you should start to see a good recovery if it was pests/broad mites.

Spray all plants in the vicinity of any infested plant.

Last year pic of my young SRP infested with Broad mites....
post-15502-0-06441200-1561825462_thumb.jpg

So heres where Im at, and thanks very much for taking time to reply, as only a 2nd year grower Im learning on the fly.
I took all my Habs this morning pruned off big old nasty leaves along with the curled funk and baby leaves on the center stalk all the way to the dirt level and thinned out the center growth for improved access of spray and airflow
Discovered all kinds of spiders, aphids, some weird green bug that looks triangular and hops around and some other dark ones that move quickly from branch to branch that eluded my spray.
I drenched the leaves top and bottom with organicide simply because I have 2 big bottles to use then Ill reapply neem and soap in a few days
Im hoping growth will come back but not sure since the plant is in early stage of flower and peppering. I wa thinking to top them all but decided against it except one young scotch bonnet plant that isnt doing well to begin with.
I got through 6 or so this morning before the sun came up and Ill go over all other plants in the next day or so when time permits and hope for the best. Ill keep posting results and thanks all for info

Have a nice weekend and happy growing

I am finding lots of these small little hair like things with a white piece sticking on the leaves, I sprayed them and rubbed away what I could, any idea what they are? I was going to take a pic but my camera wouldnt capture it

Laheat said:
I am finding lots of these small little hair like things with a white piece sticking on the leaves, I sprayed them and rubbed away what I could, any idea what they are? I was going to take a pic but my camera wouldnt capture it
Is this what you're talking about...?
post-15502-0-50958600-1588608114.jpg

Ya, those are real small, just blew up the pic...

Those are lacewing eggs, soon to be voracious aphid lions.

Don't feel bad, when I first started, wiped out a whole crew of ladybug larvae . Live and learn.
If you see them again, let them be. They eat almost every soft body sucking insect that prey on our peppers....

More bad news, sorry but if mom lacewing laid them there, sure to be a lot of something they can eat very close by...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46302-the-pest-guide/page-17#entry1681504

Back