• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment Habanero Mustard from Hell

Ok, I'll try to keep this brief and on point :)

I live in Sausage County WI, population 263. My old lady was born and raised in Austria, thus I found myself eating wurst with mustard, potato salad, dumplings and other European staples from a very young age.

I love mustard and I love spice, so it makes sense for me to combine the two.

Yesterday I took a rare visit to our nearest village here in Door County, and was thrilled to find a new business (Fat Louie's Olive Oil Bar) with a whole room dedicated to hot sauces, salsa, hot oils and mustard.

Like a kid in a candy store I grabbed various bottles, jars and spice shakers and headed back to home base.

Johnsonville Brats are the most popular sausage in this area by quite a long shot. Personally I think they compete well with other Bratwurst but I much prefer a denser, less fatty sausage like a good Kiabasa or Polish. With only Johnsonville brats available, I whipped up a pair, greased a soft bun and sat down with my bounty of new sauces and mustard.

Habanero Mustard from Hell is a concoction from 'Southwest Specialty Foods Inc' and is available online from www.beyondhot.com

Ingredients - Water, Mustard Flour, Honey, Habanero Pepper, Vinegar, salt and spices.

Label - A rather generic looking yellow label with red and black lettering, a picture of the devil and the words "Habanero Mustard from Hell - The World's Hottest Mustard" and "Beyond Hot" just to top things off.

Color - Imagine your typical German Mustard with a hint of pureed red pepper and that's the color of this product. A soft brown with a slightly reddish tint.

Aroma - Basically this smells like your typical German utility mustard, almost like the yellow mustard used to garnish dogs.

Taste - There are many varieties of German mustard and some are quite hot. The medium spicy brands, or Mittlescharfer, tend to have a lower percentage of mustard seeds and a slightly lighter color. They are often mixed with horseradish to lift the heat a little and improve the flavor. The sharper varieties, 'Scharfer Senf' tend to be darker, with a higher amount of mustard seed and more horseradish. I would say the 'Mustard from Hell' started life as a medium heat, fairly generic German mustard, with Habanero added to lift the heat. (note that it does not claim to be a 'German' mustard, that's just my observation on the taste).
This basically tastes like any average quality German utility mustard with a little extra spice. You could easily make something much more enjoyable by taking a good quality German mustard like the "Lakeside Dusseldorf" and adding a teaspoon of your own home made pepper puree, or even a good Habanero hot sauce.

In fact, I don't particularly care for the flavor of this stuff, it tastes like a poor quality base mustard product with a dose of hot pepper puree. It is no more hot than some of the regular hot mustards, the ones formulated primarily for a good flavor with the heat as a nice side effect.

It wasn't so bad that it made for a limp sausage, but there are many superior options to be found in the deep recesses of my refrigerator, many more effective ways to boost the flavor of my sausage and keep my pecker up.

Conclusion -
This is another example of manipulation by effective labeling hype. Like a cheap Bavarian floozy, once the lid is off you'll wonder why you were drawn to it in the first place. So I recommend that you treat your sausage to something more worthy of your attention, something with a bit more class and integrity - then consign this stuff back to where it belongs, in the novelty drawer.

mustard.jpg

and keep my pecker up.

heh heh heh you said pecker.

What did you pay for it? It seems (in my experience) a good rule of thumb is the higher the price for GOOD mustard, the better the mustard, obviously taking in to account $ per oz.
It seems anything and everything that's a heat (or Pepper) level above Jalapeno is "The Worlds Hottest". It looks like a great novelty item.

Great review, again, rooze!

Yeah I should've know it was too cheap to be really good. I paid $7.95 or something close to that. I've mixed in a 1/2 tsp of Bhut powder to try and salvage something out of it......now I gotta wait for the next sausage fest to test it! (probably a Packer game).

Nice review. I learned a bit from this and it was great to see a critical perspective.

Thanks FJ....I'm guilty of mostly only babbling about stuff that I like, so I thought it time to slip one in that wasn't so special. 'Course it's all relative, a personal taste thing, I'm sure there's people who like this stuff, and that's just fine too.

When water is the first ingredient in a condiment it is usually disappointing.

Back