• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Habanero plant with two main stems

Hello! What part of Indiana are you from? We seem to be having some pretty decent weather lately after that ~2 week period of complete cloud cover and no sun about a month ago, which coincidently seemed to start the exact day my plants arrived in the mail from Cross Country Nurseries.

I think I will leave plants with smaller pods alone, just try to make them grow away from each other so they get enough sun. The pasilla I think I will chop the smaller one. I believe they're all 2 plants, as I can't find where they merge on any of them, it may be deep within the root ball though.

Avon Barksdale said:
Hello! What part of Indiana are you from? We seem to be having some pretty decent weather lately after that ~2 week period of complete cloud cover and no sun about a month ago, which coincidently seemed to start the exact day my plants arrived in the mail from Cross Country Nurseries.

I'm up in Northwest Indiana. The weather was great the last couple weeks, perfect for hardening off my plants and getting them all in the garden. Been raining the last couple days and all day today, which is probably a good thing for the plants. I take it you're from...Avon??? haha

Do they both look nice, big, strong and healthy? I would assume that because you bought them, they probably do. If so, I say leave them both intact. Two healthy plants should always produce more habaneros than one.

If one clearly seems to be "stealing" from the other and you really have reason to believe that it won't do well, then you can decide to cut the weak one off if you want. Still though, I'd wait and see how it does in the buckets before decapitating it. When you place the buckets, try to make sure they're both getting good light; if one's shorter, put it on the side directly facing the sun. It might take a while, but it might just explode.

Personally, I'd just leave 'em both no matter what; I never had any problems with two plants in a container, and they turn out to be just as strong as the singles. And they have an advantage: two plants grown and planted together can give extra protection from the wind without a separate stake.

I would be too paranoid to even consider separating the plants' roots, and wouldn't recommend it myself....

Back