• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habanero pod

Hey guys since im a newbie at pepper growing this might be dumb question but
does all habanero's start as an elongated pod? i didnt have time to take a photo this morning but i will do so.
it has the rough shape of an hab it just seems longer and pointy.......
I planted the seeds from an Habanero i bought at the supermarket cause it was such a nice big pod now i wonder if it might be hybrid.

WIthout a picture it is hard to say.  I have a mustard habanero plant that seems to put out elongated pods that are definitely habanero in shape, but not sure if I would say without a picture if that is what you have.  Also, if this is the first pod to pop I have found that they often don't hold the classic shape for the plant, so might be better to wait until a few more come on.  Post a pic and we will see what the consensus is.

Thank you yes its the first pod the smaller pods are still to small to say.....this was an orange habanero with an peach tint
(i will get a pic up asap)

Van said:
I added the image tag for you above.

Do you have a photo of the canopy of the plant from above to give a better view of the leaves?

Van said:
Hey guys since im a newbie at pepper growing this might be dumb question but
does all habanero's start as an elongated pod? i didnt have time to take a photo this morning but i will do so.
it has the rough shape of an hab it just seems longer and pointy.......
I planted the seeds from an Habanero i bought at the supermarket cause it was such a nice big pod now i wonder if it might be hybrid.
I take it that the original market Habanero that you took the seeds from was not pointy? The fruit can fatten out as they develop.

I ended came across a pointy Habanero after I bought a plant in late 2009. It was described as a Habanero Yellow but the fruit ended up being pointy and orange.

I got some seeds from some pods that were larger and looked like that from "habaneros" ...the members on here swear they're just normal habs but they were spicier and had a red tinge to them.  I'm growing out 3 to see what I get.  Even if they are normal habs, those are likely to be easy sells at the farmer's market, if they're crosses then I might have to breed them out with something weird shaped like aji dulce or a peter pepper next year ;)

Hi there guys.... thank you Harry for adding image
The original supermarket one was not pointy at all and the other pods thats forming seems stockier as well like normal habanero its only the first one that seems to be very pointy

ikeepfish said:
I got some seeds from some pods that were larger and looked like that from "habaneros" ...the members on here swear they're just normal habs but they were spicier and had a red tinge to them.  I'm growing out 3 to see what I get.  Even if they are normal habs, those are likely to be easy sells at the farmer's market, if they're crosses then I might have to breed them out with something weird shaped like aji dulce or a peter pepper next year ;)
I cant wait to see my Habanero reds make pods they just germinated but i have an idea they are going to be hybrid ..........the source for the seeds are a bit sketchy they said its very hot chilli pepper seeds but could not confirm the genus (description sounded right) ........They had a cheyenne plant labeled as Jalapeno/ Peppadew
after couple of months i discovered the error

Back