• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Habanero red long ?

I have a plant that is supposed to be an habanero red long. The leaf pattern and growth characteristics are unusual to puzzling. I have yet to see any buds or flowers. Originally from Karl Hendrix, I have no reason to suspect he misidentified or erred in any way as 100% of his seed to me thus far has been spot on. So, what do I have? a variant? a strange phenol? a mutant?

Attachments

• 20150717_220738.jpg
    20150717_220738.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 83
Or is this what the habanero red long looks like?
Last year the seedling succumbed to the aphid infestation and I was never able to  rear one to maturity. All of my other plants have at least buds if not flowers and pods. this one seems to be doing nothing. Some of the remaining primary leaves look pepperish as well as the seedling did after it sprouted. I just does not look very habaneroish now. Yeah, I know. those arn't words. or I mean ain't words. ya get my drift though.

OK.
I posted this thread some time back and got no feedback. Have wondered why. I even thought that it may be because no one thought it was a pepper plant. It did grow rather odd as it matured. I seen no indication it was going to put forth buds at all. Nothing formed at any of the plants nodes until around August 17th at its further most nodes and still it looked very peculiar as in the first 2 pics below.

20150817_173445.jpg

20150817_173231.jpg

This is today

20150908_184511.jpg

20150908_184608.jpg

20150908_184653.jpg

Its the damnedest thing Ive ever seen for a pepper plant.
Any ideas?

fertilizer said:
Very strange indeed, i had the same happen to a chocolate scorpion that never produced anything, it would set mini pods and then just drop them after a while.
This one set pods, just too late in the season to beat the frost to maturity. Going to pot them up with lots of mycos.

CAPCOM said:
This one set pods, just too late in the season to beat the frost to maturity. Going to pot them up with lots of mycos.
Good luck, i'm just going to chop mine down, the frost will probably be here in a couple of days in belgium anyway.

Update
I took some cuttings to clone from this plant and have just transplanted from a solo cup to a 1 gal container. The plant should really take off now. Added a nice dose of mykos to speed things up.

FiresOfNil said:
Looks like it is a mutant - some peppers I've seen grow deformed in crazy ways. If that is the case the mutation doesn't seem too intense.

It's growth habits were the strangest I have ever seen. It is over a year old now and is not even hinting at flowers.

Maligator said:
I couldn't hazard a guess but I'm intrigued to find out what you do determine it to be.
As am I, that is why I cloned it. I want to see what kind of fruit itnproduces.

This plant is crazy! I am finally seeing buds beginning to form at the nodes. Compare the following pic with that on #11(taken in March) and keep in mind that the chicken wire behind the plant has horizontal wire spacing of 4".

Attachments

• 20160522_112151.jpg
    20160522_112151.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 62
D3monic said:
I would almost ventured a guess and said it was spider mite damage minus the fact the veins aren't wrinkly just the leaves. 
Said it was weird. Leaves do that on this one.
Point is, it will have offspring for next year. Going to be interesting to see what these turn out to be. Hope it will have been worth all the effort.
This plant is over 2 1/2 feet tall, no new growth from nodes, multiple branches at will. very late in flowering.
last year it flowered so late the frost came before pod maturity and I had to clone it.

Well, It appears some revelations are at hand.
The plant is not producing long red habaneros. It is producing std length chocolate yet to be determined maybe habaneros. But one pod is starting to change and chocolate it appears it will be.

Back