• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habanero, tabasco & jalapeno flowering

This is a newbie question. I have three plants that were bought around April 25th. All are not very tall and are beginning to produce flowers, which I have pinched off.
At what point do you let the flowers develop?
These plants are only about 8-9" tall. It seems like they are only growing at a very slow rate.
They appear to be healthy and I fertilize them about every two weeks fish fertilizer. They also get a dose of bone meal about every other week. I pinched off about 8 buds from my jalapeno and a couple from each of the habanero and tabasco.

The habanero and tabasco are in 10" pots. I'm thinking I may need to re-pot to something larger. Any suggestions?

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

I'd probably lay off the bone meal and continue with the fish emulsions, and maybe pot up. What king of "soil" are you using?

I think these were planted in a combination of MG Organic and another soil that I bought. This was before I found out that MG Organic is crap. I'll re-pot today and see what happens.

Looks good to me, +1 on the less bonemeal and same fish emulsion and yeah that MG organic is crap, the regular MG is ok with me, try that?

Just re-potted my habanero and tabasco. The habanero was re-potted in a 5 gal bucket and the tabasco in a 3 gal bucket. Hoping all goes well and that the re-pot didn't cause any problems.

Hey there chilehead,

I never pinch the buds from my chillis. Flowers are way to precious for me to "waste" them by pinching.
If the plant want to flower you should be happy.
I know that sometimes people like to try and keep the plant growing for a little while but if it has enough light and good nutrients a few early fruits wont make a diference.
Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

cheers

I pinched off the ones for the Jalapeno. My habanero has some buds that will be turning into flowers soon, so I think I may leave them alone and see what happens.

Back