• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Habanero Umba

Has anyone here ever grown this? Are they as hot as these growers claim?

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/growing2011.html

(The chile in question is the last one listed under the Simpson's Seeds section)

Peppermania sold a habanero called Aji Umba.
If I remenber right they can be red or Yellow.
I don't remember them being super hot in heat.

Sounds extremely suspicious, I googled umba habanero and there is practically zero mention of it anywhere, unless it is the same as aji umba (and it sounds like it is). This thread is actually the 3rd hit on that search. I haven't grown them, but aji umbas are supposedly habanero-level heat. That link says that they were tested 2 years in a row at over 1 million scovilles, if that were true there's no way that no one would know about it. Bhuts/Bihs/Nagas, 7 Pots, and Trinidad Scorpions are the only varieties that ever test that high (and all of the various strains of these).

I have a couple pods off of an (Aji Umba from the chiliman) overwintered plant. I did not taste them and they are in the freezer. Might have to crack it open now.
June4th2011016.jpg

Simpson's seeds seems to call all C. chinenses habaneros, even 7 pods are habaneros to them :) If CARDI developed it, its not a habanero

Alrighty then, I was pretty sure that it couldn't go this long being a secret if it was really that hot. But, I thought I should post it just incase, ya never know when you could find a diamond in the rough. Thanks guys

yes sounds funky to me too

when you consider that AJI UMBRA is C. BACCATUM , and this HABANERO UMBRA is C. CHINENSE they are not the same and the fact that there is little written either means its brand new of a fake

i have a few hybrids im working on at present that i named

my friend and i have one called AJI BOLSA DE DULCEIT EXISTS BUT YOU WONT FIND MUCH ON IT, MAYBE THIS IS THE CASE??

i dont trust it until there is more publicized about it

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

My seeds from Peppermania are C.Chinense.Aji Umba.
No mention of Cardi anywhere either that I could find.

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=aji+umba&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

Can't find anything on an Aji Umbra or umbra ,aji umba or umba as a C.Baccatum...

this pepper is very mysterious, I've followed that links grow logs for months now and they don't really seem the type to lie about something like that. maybe Simpson's Seeds are up to something :idea:

The first time I ran across Aji Umba (C.Chinense) seeds was in about 2005 or 2006 I think it was.
I doubt it's that rare,They go by a couple different names too - Adjuma and Ojemma.
I had the red version.
Could be a strain/version of Madame Jannette,it comes in red or Yellow too.

Back