• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead's 2014 Glog - Nuclear Destruction

Hello Everyone!

Thought it would be a great idea to start my glog. :P
I am going to start my seeds this year earlier, which will be the 31st of December.
As the topic title indicates, this year is not going to be childplay, thanks to Rick (stickman) and Conor (Saugapepper) who shared some real kick-ass peppers with me.
I am stil using my T5 lamp with a 59 cm long special grow-bulb (Osram Fluora 18W), but I am in the process to create a bigger grow box, to satisfy the needs of the plants. I know it is not the best setup, but according to my experience it is just enough till we get enough sunlight (from April).
I am planning to sow 5 seeds per each variety, starting with the Chinenses first, using plant trays. ( I have the 7 Pot Burgundy from two source, which means 10 seeds :P )

Here is my list for 2014:

7 Pot Savannah
7 Pot Burgundy
7-pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Douglah Alphanerdz-strain
SBJ7 (scotch bonnet-Jonah-7)
Peach Bhut
White Bhut
Black Naga
Naga Morich
Red Naga
Not Yellow Bhut
Funky Reapers
Jays Peach x TS
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow
TS Brainstrain (red)
TS Brainstrain (yellow)
Brown Moruga Scorpion
Chocolate Habanero
Magnum Orange Habanero
Maya Red Habanero
Red Habanero
Numex Poblano
Holy Mole' Hybrid Pasilla
Serrano Tampiqueno

I hope you will enjoy my glog this year!

Balázs

Hi THP,

Small update without pics at the moment...
Interesting to see the two plants in the 20 gallon pots are doing...all of the big leaves are sunburnt, but tons of side branches have started to grow on the stem.
I noticed some aphids on the pepper, so I sprayed them with something I bought at the garden shop.
According to my Mom the fresh leaves (tips) of the peppers are curling... My question is: can it be because of the cold (-7-8 Celsius) night temps?

Thanks,

Balázs

HabaneroHead said:
Hi THP,

Small update without pics at the moment...
Interesting to see the two plants in the 20 gallon pots are doing...all of the big leaves are sunburnt, but tons of side branches have started to grow on the stem.
I noticed some aphids on the pepper, so I sprayed them with something I bought at the garden shop.
According to my Mom the fresh leaves (tips) of the peppers are curling... My question is: can it be because of the cold (-7-8 Celsius) night temps?

Thanks,

Balázs

It's possible that the cold is making some of the leaf tips curl... here's a photo of a Thai Prik Leuang pepper that I think was affected by the cold this spring. Do they look like this?
SANY1448_zps9b9e4efd.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Dirt day looked great man! Took too long for me to get caught up. Don't worry about a little sunburn... It happens. Their pots are huge they're going to explode!
Thanks, Adam! No issues, this year is crazy at THP, everybody is posting amazing pics, and having amazing plants. Sunburn was not a surprise for me (it was only for the plants :P ), it just takes some timefor them to get rid off the sunburnt leafes and to focus on the new growth.

stickman said:

It's possible that the cold is making some of the leaf tips curl... here's a photo of a Thai Prik Leuang pepper that I think was affected by the cold this spring. Do they look like this?
SANY1448_zps9b9e4efd.jpg
Hi Rick,

It is a good question, my friend! :P
The issue is that I did not show to my Mom how to upload pics to her laptop (old one with Linux, so should be even trickier), so I do not know yet. I also experienced the leaf curl issue on the plants in my garden, but immediately discovered the ants...then followed them on the plants, and found the aphids. :mope:
The infection is not that serious, but I sprayed them with some pesticide to get rid off them. Hopefully that will work.
And
now let's see some pics about my garden! :-)

My primary garden

My secondary garden, which is attached to my garage (the previous owner had two dogs here)...it is not mine, currently owned by a bank...so I thought what the heck?...it is better to have some plants there then to see weed growing there.

Douglah in pot has almost lost its leaves

Same plant, closer shot about the side-branches

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion almost flowering

Same plant, side branches are growing out from the place of the lost leaves...it is crazy :fireball:

Thanks for watching,

Balázs

Sorry to read about the cool weather, I feel it's been a cool spring for most of us this season. Affecting those more that live in a cooler climate. Here it was a blessing.

I know your plants will rise to the occasion and produce well for you!

My apologies for not doing a better job keeping up with the glogs this season, I'm always working in the garden!

Enjoy the weekend Balázs!

Hi Balázs

I hope a week has done nice things to your plants. Things have warmed up enough here that the Chinense and Frutascens peppers are finally starting to grow out and at least bud up. None of the flowers are sticking yet, with the possible exception of the bigger King Naga after I covered the raised bed it's in with insulating agricultural fabric. The Annuums are doing great, and I have pods on all of my Hungarians. Tomatillos are blossoming too, so it won't be long before I have salsa verde!
   We hope all is well at home too... your fiancee must be getting close to her time. Take care my friend!

Devv said:
Sorry to read about the cool weather, I feel it's been a cool spring for most of us this season. Affecting those more that live in a cooler climate. Here it was a blessing.

I know your plants will rise to the occasion and produce well for you!

My apologies for not doing a better job keeping up with the glogs this season, I'm always working in the garden!

Enjoy the weekend Balázs!

Hi Scott,

Thanks for checking in! :P
I hope the season will be long enough to have some decent harvest.
We are all garden junkies, my friend! My neighbour just mentioned it to me...since every time she see me I am working in the garden... :crazy:
maximumcapsicum said:
Got to say your sunburn phase is looking alot better than mine did. Stay strong man!
Thanks, Adam! Your plants are monsters :mouthonfire:

stickman said:
Hi Balázs

I hope a week has done nice things to your plants. Things have warmed up enough here that the Chinense and Frutascens peppers are finally starting to grow out and at least bud up. None of the flowers are sticking yet, with the possible exception of the bigger King Naga after I covered the raised bed it's in with insulating agricultural fabric. The Annuums are doing great, and I have pods on all of my Hungarians. Tomatillos are blossoming too, so it won't be long before I have salsa verde!
   We hope all is well at home too... your fiancee must be getting close to her time. Take care my friend!

Hi Rick,

I'm glad to hear things are doing well for you. I believe now you can see that the Hungarian types were adopted to the cooler temps.
This year I am not growing any tomatillos...I had too many things to do..I am even happy to have my pepper and tomato plants in the ground.

Balázs

Hello Everyone,

I am spending this weekend with my parents, so I thought it would be to update the glog with some pictures :P

69 plants were in the tunnel...1 has died, so 69 left. (the one was replaced by a Kapija)

I have the feeling that we are going to have some non-supers this year, too :fireball:

30 superhot plants were outside the tunnel...they almost died...and now slowly recovering.

Tomato

Will post more for a bump :-)

Balázs

Bump!

Sorry to hear cold temperatures were a factor for you this year Balázs. At least you were able to save the vast majority of your plants at your folks' place, and hopefully it's finally warming up there now.

stickman said:
Bump!

Sorry to hear cold temperatures were a factor for you this year Balázs. At least you were able to save the vast majority of your plants at your folks' place, and hopefully it's finally warming up there now.
Thanks, Rick! This year's weather is a joke so far...I started the plants 2 months earlier than in the previous years...and dispite of that the plants are smaller than normally... We used to have 25-30 Celisus at the beginning of May, this year we had 15-18 Celsius, with 6-8 Celsius in the morning. Peppers don't really love this kind of temps :P
Now it should be ok, I hope :-)

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion

Douglah

Chocolate Habanero

TS CARDI Yellow

7 Pot Burgundy

Brainstrain - Yellow

Brainstrain - Red

Black Naga

7 Pot Yellow

Magnum Orange Hab

Balázs

Your plants may look shorter than you'd like Balázs, but the stems are very sturdy and will be able to take whatever Ma Nature throws at them after this. I've got a feeling that things are beginning to turn around now, and in another few weeks we northern folks will be getting enough warmth to push our plants into a serious growth spurt. Continued success brother!

stickman said:
Your plants may look shorter than you'd like Balázs, but the stems are very sturdy and will be able to take whatever Ma Nature throws at them after this. I've got a feeling that things are beginning to turn around now, and in another few weeks we northern folks will be getting enough warmth to push our plants into a serious growth spurt. Continued success brother!
From your mouth to God's ear, my friend!
Last week we had a heatwave for 3 days when we had 35 Celsius outside. The tomato plants grew like 15 cm on those days. Now we have 25 Celsius max temps, what the peppers like the most. Some of them already has flower buds, which are on the edge to open.
Today I removed the lower 3-4 side branches from the plants to support the upper ones.

Maya Red Habanero - the biggest plant in the garden, it is already flowering

Peach Bhut

Not Yellow Bhut

Brown Moruga

Funky Reaper

Red Naga flowering like crazy

Anonone, bump? :-)

Balázs

stickman said:
You got the bump brother! Kudos on the Maya Red and Red Nagas! :dance:
Thank you, my friend! :fireball:

SBJ7

White Bhut

7 Pot Savannah

Outside peppers...well...at least they are still alive. I have the feeling that they will bush out quickly, but probably they won't be as big as the ones in the tunnel. (these ones are the better ones...)

Chocholate Habanero

Red Naga

That's it for today! :dance:

Balázs

Wow Balázs!

Great stuff there!

That garden looks like a full time job there, it's huge!

Keep doing what you're doing, they look great!

Great looking plants Balázs! Glad your getting some flowering on some chinenses. Going to be picking up steam from now till the rest of the season.

Very big garden ... i have like, a garden the size of your tunnel.... but for all my veggies :)
Nice looking plants. Wish you plenty of pods.

rock on!

Back