• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead's 2014 Glog - Nuclear Destruction

Hello Everyone!

Thought it would be a great idea to start my glog. :P
I am going to start my seeds this year earlier, which will be the 31st of December.
As the topic title indicates, this year is not going to be childplay, thanks to Rick (stickman) and Conor (Saugapepper) who shared some real kick-ass peppers with me.
I am stil using my T5 lamp with a 59 cm long special grow-bulb (Osram Fluora 18W), but I am in the process to create a bigger grow box, to satisfy the needs of the plants. I know it is not the best setup, but according to my experience it is just enough till we get enough sunlight (from April).
I am planning to sow 5 seeds per each variety, starting with the Chinenses first, using plant trays. ( I have the 7 Pot Burgundy from two source, which means 10 seeds :P )

Here is my list for 2014:

7 Pot Savannah
7 Pot Burgundy
7-pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Douglah Alphanerdz-strain
SBJ7 (scotch bonnet-Jonah-7)
Peach Bhut
White Bhut
Black Naga
Naga Morich
Red Naga
Not Yellow Bhut
Funky Reapers
Jays Peach x TS
Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow
TS Brainstrain (red)
TS Brainstrain (yellow)
Brown Moruga Scorpion
Chocolate Habanero
Magnum Orange Habanero
Maya Red Habanero
Red Habanero
Numex Poblano
Holy Mole' Hybrid Pasilla
Serrano Tampiqueno

I hope you will enjoy my glog this year!

Balázs

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Everyone,

Since morning things are moving fast.
I counted the hooks:

Peach Bhut 1
White Bhut. 3
Red Naga 5
Brain Red. 1
Burgundy 3
Maya Red. 2
7 Pot Yellow 1

16 in total, out of 122, on the 7th day.

Balázs

Good on ya Balázs... 13% in 7 days is doing pretty well when you're talking about superhots! Looking forward to pics... :party:

Hello,

Update time!
In 8 hours my seedlings doubled in number.
I have now 10 out of the 23 sown varieties.
The majority of the seeds germinated in the second tray, while the 1 st has only 2 or 3...
Hopefully nothing to worry about, since the trays were treated in the same way (soil, water, heat, soaking of seeds, etc)
Another interesting thing is while I do not have any seedling yet from 13 variety, in case of others there were even those popping up, which were not pre-soaked.

Peach Bhut 4
White Bhut.5
Red Naga 5
Brain Red.3
Burgundy 4
Maya Red.4
7 Pot Yellow 1
Not Yellow Bhut 2
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion 1
Brain Yellow 1

30 in total, out of 122, approx 25%.
It is progressing pretty well :-)

Balázs
Devv said:
Good start Balázs, I hope they keep on coming for you!
Thanks, Scott! I was a little bit worried about not seeing any sign of life in the first 6 days. Now I can see (at least I hope) I will have some plants to play with.:-))))
maximumcapsicum said:
Fantastic! Can't wait to see the hooks!

Good to know on the helmet-humidity issue. Think soaking universally helps with that?
:-)
Well, I was always soaking the seeds, and had a lot of seedling die because of the helmet issue.
According to my experience it happens, when the seed coat dries out right after the seed germinated. Humidity and presoaking the seeds is needed to soften the seed, to ease the work of the embryo, but it has to be kept after germination.
Since I cannot make the air of my box that humid, as damp I can make the soil, I have chosen to plant the seeds deeper giving them some time to get rid of the helmet.
Direct physical contact with the soil also helps the seedling to kick it off.
So far it works for me :-)
stickman said:

Good on ya Balázs... 13% in 7 days is doing pretty well when you're talking about superhots! Looking forward to pics... :party:
Thanks, Rick! Indeed, in the last years 7 days was only enough to see them popping out in wet paper towel, and now they are looking out from the soil!
Yesterday evening I was arriving late, also had to cook, so I had no time to make pics. Hopefully today I can make some.

Very nice progress with the germination, Balász!

It seems like once they hit a certain point, things
start popping all over the place!

Thank you, Paul! :P

Update time! (with some statistics)
I have only 5 varieties which are not yet showing any sign of life. Interesting is that out of this 5, 2 was my own seed from the previous season. It also means that out of the 20 new varieties received, only 3 (!) haven't germinated yet.
And this is impressive!

Thanks for watching,

Balázs

Thanks, Guys! :-)
Yes, Scott, I'd say, if you have heat mats available, go for it, then! You won't regret it.:-)

9th day
Unfortunately I barely have time to update my glog...work, and pampering my babies takes a lot of time.
73 seeds popped from the 122, which is around 60 %.
However I still have some varieties, which refuse germination, hopefully they are just sown deeper.
These are: TS CARDI Yellow, Burgundy (Conor) , Barrackpore, Red Hab, which is 21 seeds in total.
If I take it out from the total sown, I get 101, out of which 73 means almost 73% success.:-)))

Balázs

Fantastic update Balázs! 

Yeah, hooking up my heat mat for this weekend's big chinenses germination. Just took a temp reading... 75° F in the grow box, should be 85° with the mat. Basically ideal. Hope I can replicate your success!

maximumcapsicum said:
Fantastic update Balázs! 

Yeah, hooking up my heat mat for this weekend's big chinenses germination. Just took a temp reading... 75° F in the grow box, should be 85° with the mat. Basically ideal. Hope I can replicate your success!
Hi Adam,

Thanks for stopping by! Can't wait to see it! I'm sure you will be successful, my friend! :-)
Scarecrw said:
I'm still waiting for some of mine to hook. How long do we wait before we replant? Nice job so far HH. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the good vibes.
They were surely pop. When I started growing Chinenses, many sources on the internet said it could take 28 (!) days... My first Red Habs germinated in 6 days and now I had hooks after 7 days.
I was thinking about replanting as well. I sowed them 10 days ago, and I'm still seeing hooks popping up. I was scratching the surface in a Black Naga cell, and quite deep I found a hook... So it is worth to wait a couple of days longer. Maybe after 3 weeks I would consider replanting, but since I have 85 seedlings, my aim is to get at least 2 plants from each variety.

Balázs

Back