• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Habbies Update - June 24th 2009

Orange Habanero, Caribbean Red Habanero, West Indies Habanero.

The Pods are close enough to a typical Habanero, so....

I disagree. :)

family-guy-i-disagree-1.jpg

willard3 said:
Note from the taxonomy police:

All habaneros are chinenses
Not all chinenses are habaneros

This will help to keep confusion down.

Pictures are all of chinenses, not all habaneros.

As usual, I have to agree with Willard. If your one pepper is from west Indies, it's likely not a habanero but they are still great C. chinenses. I'm pretty sure that the Caribbean red are actually habs from Mexico and not from the Caribbean which confuses things further:rolleyes:

Well I'm not going to stop calling them Habaneros untill somebody can point out the casualties, damage or earth shaking repercussions caused by such a minor detail.

And I'm going to enjoy them either way!

imaguitargod said:
Habaneros only originate from the Yukitan Penensula (sp?). +1 on Willard.

The name came from the fact that europeans thougt that all pepper imported from over the pond came from Havana on Cuba.

So if we go back to the real origin of the name "habanero" it's just another way of saying "chile". (Or chilli, chili, hot pepper or whatevva) Go back to the 16th century and even a freakkin jalapeno would have been a habanero - a term that was coined in Europe by people who knew nothing about Capsicums.

-25 on Willard, who I'm sure know what people mean even though he sounds like a broken record for some reason....

Minion §1 said:
does the string on the pod's stem put more stress on it?

Nope, it's there so I know the difference between the cross (see text above pic) and a normal orange habanero.

willard3 said:
Note from the taxonomy police:

All habaneros are chinenses
Not all chinenses are habaneros

This will help to keep confusion down.

Pictures are all of chinenses, not all habaneros.

A common name such as "habanero" has nothing to do with taxonomy. Nothing. At. All.

What you should be obsessing about is that people are calling chiles 'peppers' when they are not. Or 'fruits' when they really are berries.

Just to keep the broken record spinning:

"The second nomenclature problem is with the word habanero (sometimes erroneously spelled habañero), when it is used in English to represent the entire chinense species. That appellation is a misnomer because there are dozens--if not hundreds--of pod types within the species, and the Spanish name habanero technically refers to a specific pod type from the Yucatán Peninsula. But because consumers in the United States were familiar with the Mexican peppers, habanero became the buzz word for the species--even to the point where writers were calling the Scotch bonnet a type of "habanero." Wrong. The Scotch bonnet and habanero are different pod types of the same species"
http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.ph...abanero&catid=153:chinense-species&Itemid=149

But hardly anyone cares :)

Like the article says, there are so many different pod types, you cant make a name for all of them, so I dont see a problem in redefining the habanero name to a select few chinense varieties.

After all, the name chinense was wrong and nobody every changed that! It's a tradition! So lets keep it going!

Obviously a lot of people do care and some chili industries are becoming threatened partly because of it, but I give up and am going to go water my Fatalii habaneros and scotch bonnet habaneros:)

RichardK said:
After all, the name chinense was wrong and nobody every changed that!

Yeah! There is something to obsess about!

What about all those chiles grown in Asia now? Can we really talk about 'Thai' chiles when they really are from SA?

And the seeds we are trading? Do I really grow Naga Morich when I have no way of knowing that there has been no cross in the last.... 50 generations?

MrArboc said:
Yeah! There is something to obsess about!
I obsess over counting things, walking on a different color with my right foot, and touching evenly spaced sign poles and parking meters....but I really try not to do these things.....

imaguitargod said:
I obsess over counting things, walking on a different color with my right foot, and touching evenly spaced sign poles and parking meters....but I really try not to do these things.....

That is my point. Common names are common names. There is nothing scientific about it, the only thing that matters is that the people involved know what they are talking about.

Lighten up, we hobby growers aren't keeping a gene-bank anyway. Willow3 probably would have a heart attack if he saw a "habanero that is a chinense but not a habanero" in a European supermarket.

imaguitargod said:

Spiders have been known to hang around sign poles and parking meters... :)

spider_post.jpg

MrArboc said:
Lighten up, we hobby growers aren't keeping a gene-bank anyway. Willow3 probably would have a heart attack if he saw a "habanero that is a chinense but not a habanero" in a European supermarket.
If I lighten up any more I will be rivaling the sun....and the sun doesn't like to be rivaled... :lol:

Back