• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hadanero's Lanco Pepper Grow 2024

So, we're finally in a house and I'm getting ready for my first growing season with an actual yard. The patio back in Málaga was wonderful and never had snow, but I'll be able to grow more than four pepper plants at a time here.

I'm not germinating any seeds for the spring just yet, but I did put together a little indoor germination station and started three varieties that'll go into mini-Kratky systems, and one that'll go into a 5-gal Kratky bucket. Never tried hydroponics before, but thought this was a good chance to get my feet wet. The varieties are: Peruvian White Habaneros and Yellow MOA Scotch Bonnets from Midwest Chile Heads, as well as Aji Ayuyo and Er Jing Tao from CaneDog.

My heating mat is a cheap one off the shelf from a local grow shop. Don't have a thermostat yet, but will see how it goes and pick one up if needed. The light overhead is the Sansi 36W full spectrum LED bulb. I have two, so I can increase the light as things progress. Finally picked up a timer too.

If there are any suggestions, I'm more than open to them. Should I lower the light some? It's currently 13" off the tops of the rockwool.

PXL_20231207_133206516.jpg PXL_20240103_210733137.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, as for the light at 13" that sounds good for now & later you can adjust for growth.
I have my lights at 14" & set for 50% power &n I get good strong seedlings.

Best of luck on your new grow. 🙂

Congrats on your new house and yard, Hadanero! And good luck with those kratky peppers.

You might consider draping a small towel over the humidome and heat map until the first sprout sprouts. That should help with keeping the seeds warm and prevent the heat mat not from running constantly.

So much room... lucky you!
The Sansi lights are great, I'm using them too. Unfortunately they easily break. I had mine burning for 12 hours a day throughout the year. After a year about half of them died... 🙄

So, it's been two interesting weeks. Three good germinations - the only failure being the Peruvian White Habaneros. The first pic is 9 days old, showing the MOA Bonnets, Er Jing Tao, and Aji Ayuyo. Then, our drain pipe backed up into our basement and my grow area, so everything is in turmoil. But they survived and I'll be switching the three good seedlings into mini-Kratky jars today.

I realized after starting them that the Aji Ayuyo may not be great for a mini-Kratky. Everyone's saying it's got a more vinelike growth pattern, so I'll see how that goes. May have to be fairly agressive with the pruning and topping to keep it as an indoor plant. If it gets out of hand, I'll move it outside or put it in the 5-gallon bucket I have for a larger Kratky attempt, and use the shelving for a tressle of sorts. My main goal with the mini-Kratkies was to experiment and learn a bit about hydroponics, and to have something to scratch that late-December "gotta start seeds!" itch. So, my bar for feeling successful with these is low.

PXL_20240114_204449251.jpg PXL_20240119_230624181.jpg

While the insurance crew tore our basement apart, I finalized my grow list for the year. I'm just waiting for the Zapotec seeds to arrive, and then I'll be starting these varieties next week, dropping all the chinense, the baccatums, and the one frutescens variety first, and a week later, starting the annuums. I had wanted to do that this week, but with the basement in total disarray, it seemed wise to postpone. If any of the info on the grow list looks off, don't hesitate to let me know. Also, "Calvin's Jalapeño" is not an official variety, but I received the seeds as a bonus from Calvin of MWC before he closed shop, and my son shares his name, so I thought I'd just call it that.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Bummer about the drain backup, Hadanero, but things are looking good otherwise. Nice mix of varieties, too!

I've grown the ayuyo only a couple times and it was bushy and productive, but fairly compact and had no need for support. Based on how it grew for me (in soil) I'd expect it to be good indoor plant.
Very helpful to know - thank you!

All right, a quick update and a pair of photos:

Seeds for all the chinense varieties went into the rock wool on Feb 1. My son was happy to help me count out three of each and get them started. Now I just have to convince him that spicy food is also good to eat. None have sprouted yet, but it's only been about 5 days.

The Yellow MOA Bonnets, Aji Ayuyo, and Er Jing Tao made the move over to mini Kraktky cups, and they're all doing well. Slowly slurping up the water and sending their roots down further and further. The Ayuyo wins for longest root so far, though the Bonnet is quickly catching up. I've narrowed each down to the strongest looking seedling.

I'll likely start the rest of my seeds this weekend. Oh, and I'll be starting the Throwdown charapita as soon as it arrives. :)

PXL_20240205_175058059.jpg
PXL_20240201_231209253.jpg

It's been a few weeks, and it's a good time for another update.

The three hydro peppers are doing okay - some slow growth above the surface, but substantial root development below. Yesterday, I refreshed the nutrient solution (I'm using Mega Crop) and I plan to make that a weekly/bi-weekly task given the rate of uptake.

I remembered the night before last (as I was trying to fall asleep) that the rockwool has no nutrients for the seedlings I've started. "Duh," is the obvious response, to which I reply, "Yeah, I'm not a smart man."

So yesterday, I went ahead and moved the various chinense seedlings (image 1) into 3" nursery pots and watered them all (image 2). Thankfully this means I can continue with 18 seedlings from the chinense starts. I didn't have to cull as many as originally planned. The bummer was that I had zero germination for the Bica Roxa and bad germination (very weak/thin cotyledons) for the Peruvian White Habaneros. I would have been happy to have another Datil or Papa Dreadie Bonnet, but I'm happy to at least have one of each.

And the annuum, baccatum, and frutescens are off to an okay start (image 3). The Zapotecs from Baker Creek jumped up quickly and I was getting some legginess in the tray, but it's calmed down since lowering the light. I'm ordering another light because I underestimated how many I'd need.

And I started the Throwdown Charapitas as well (no picture, sorry) - I counted 80 seeds in the 6 pods. I'm just starting 4 for now, and the plan is to grow my competition plant in a 5-gallon Kratky bucket.

PXL_20240220_165935082.jpg PXL_20240221_174210738.jpg PXL_20240221_174235264.jpg

My annuums weren't too happy with being potted up - the various jalapeno varieties in particular--Zapotec, Mattapeno, and Calvin's Jalapeno--all started curling. I thought maybe it was a lack of water, so I gave a small bit of water. One of them started damping off, so I realized they were all likely overwatered. I lost the Zapotecs and one each of the other two. I also lost an MOA Yellow Bonnet.

So, given the losses and the few varieties that never germinated, I just started 6 seeds of each of the following: Datil, Peruvian White Hab, Bica Roxa, Zapotec, and Cabai Burung Ungu. I'm hopeful I can get these up in time, but I know it's late for chinense. I feel certain the Zapotec will germinate quickly (it was about two days for the first round, but leggy early on). I also started 12 more Charapita seeds for the throwdown.

I also refreshed the water for the mini-Kratky cups. It's fascinating to me to check out the roots, and @CaneDog was 100% right about the Aji Ayuyo - it's already showing some low foliage and seems like it'll happily stay compact. I'll need to trim back the Er Jing Tao, but not for a while yet.

Pictures show the state of the crop and the third light I've added, Er Jing Tao roots, a closer view of the Aji Ayuyo foliage (a bit nute-burned, I think), and a few happier seedlings (Pimenta Bode Amarillo, Aji Pineapple).

My kids are really getting into it now, which makes the whole thing that much more fun.

PXL_20240228_000253322.jpg

PXL_20240228_001220774.jpg
PXL_20240228_003439281.jpg
PXL_20240228_003447468.jpg
PXL_20240228_001824749.jpg

Back