• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Half Peppers/Half Stem Drop

DatilDaddy

Banned
My pepper plants seem to be producing quite well. But it seems for every pepper I get, I also get a stem that would have produced a pepper (peduncle) that drops. I am only gettig 1 pepper per axil because of this. Im sure there are many causes but is this normal? I just assumed it was from nonpollination.

Many pepper varieties will drop buds, flowers, and even pods when sustained temperatures are too high (particularly overnight.) Given the heat we've had up here (Ohio), I am thinking it likely you are having too high temps in your area. When the temps start to cool down, assuming you have no other issues, the production should increase.

Of course, you should ensure nothing else is going on, too. ie - Is the pH where it's supposed to be? Giving them adequate ferts? Watering at appropriate intervals? All those can impact your plants, as well.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

:rofl:

I love when Willard post's this...

and it's all true...

Every time I see those reasons listed I ponder this.

It may be 90 outside but my plants are baking in the full sun and the actual temp they are receiving is well over 100.

I was having the same problem here in AZ.

I started watering twice a day in smaller amounts to help cool the pots/roots and have had better flower retention and pollination even in 100 to 110 degree temps.

Back