• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Halide light - too much light for my plants?

Yeah,I have moved one of my Choc bhuts and my big cayenne into the tunnel.Was bloody cold over the weekend and they seem to be fine.The plants are growing so fast under my CFLs and im running out of room fast so they may all go into the tunnel in a few weeks.
Whats the floor covering you have in the greenhouse?

Yeah mate, my neighbour next door has about 50 plants in his greenhouse which is same as this just a bit bigger. And theyre all sweet - most of them are superhots too and all are surviving no problem.

I also have one of those budget 3 tier greenhouses from the warehouse with a single layer cover - i have 1 Fatalii and 2 7 pot Jonahs in there and they have been ok for the last 2 weeks. The temperature drops to 8C at night in there but it doesnt seem to bother them too much. So I'm pretty sure you'll be okay especially now things are warming up for sure.

Swampy_NZ said:
Yeah,I have moved one of my Choc bhuts and my big cayenne into the tunnel.Was bloody cold over the weekend and they seem to be fine.The plants are growing so fast under my CFLs and im running out of room fast so they may all go into the tunnel in a few weeks.
Whats the floor covering you have in the greenhouse?
Oh haha the floor covering is an old McKenna Whiskey sign, i got it off trademe a few years ago to use as a tarp - it comes in bloody handy. this is only like 1/3rd of the whole thing. Its durable as hell, much more durable than those blue tarps you get.

Nice greenhouse! Make sure the sliding door seals. I've seen some that didn't seal wooth a toot. Definitely go automated. T-stat cooling and heating when needed. Its like a car. It will heat up fast. Misters help cool as well. I'm not sure what the humidity runs where you are but a wet wall is an option for cooling too. They just don't work the best in high humidity areas like the deep south US. Keep us posted with pic!!

jb_orchidguy said:
Nice greenhouse! Make sure the sliding door seals. I've seen some that didn't seal wooth a toot. Definitely go automated. T-stat cooling and heating when needed. Its like a car. It will heat up fast. Misters help cool as well. I'm not sure what the humidity runs where you are but a wet wall is an option for cooling too. They just don't work the best in high humidity areas like the deep south US. Keep us posted with pic!!
Hey yeah the sliding door seals it took a while to adjust it right. Yeah I found a thermostat that controls a heater and a cooler will see if I can get all that in there. Thanks!
queequeg152 said:
looks good.
Thanks mate! Will post another one next weekend once I got the racks and the overhead light in, etc.

I'm glad it seals. I've known a couple people who've had the sliding doors that needed to modify.

Way to go with the Tstat. Definitely the way to go. They also sell heat activated vent openers that don't require power. Work off wax.

Hopefully by the time its getting that warm in the GH you can grow outside without worry.

I have to grow year round in my GH because its too cold in winter and too hot in summer for the plants I'm growing.

I'm new to peppers. But have been growing orchids and Nepenthes for years. So I had to research cooling and heating.

Nice greenhouse.  I think I have a very mini-version of that (trade tested?). 

I have a '72 HQ wagon which is in the shop right now getting ready for summer. 

Robisburning said:
Nice greenhouse.  I think I have a very mini-version of that (trade tested?). 

I have a '72 HQ wagon which is in the shop right now getting ready for summer. 
Oh ok yeah these types of greenhouses are all over trademe. I think they get as big as 6x10 feet or maybe even more. Mine is 6x8 but they get smaller with similar type fittings. Seems real flimsy when you're assembling it but when it's done its solid as. We had to lift it over a tree to get in there and it all held together mint so I'm sure itll withstand the winds and whatever else.

Nice on the HQ! I couldnt find an HQ when i was looking for mine and then this HX came about - was basically a lost cause because of rust and missing parts, but about a years worth of rust removal in my garage and sussing all the parts, managed to restore it to it's original glory. Nothing worse than people letting these beautys rot and die so I'm glad I managed to save one of these.

I got mine out of a garage where it had sat for 20 years.  I did pay 12 beers for it though. It has not been on the road yet as I put a new motor, radiator, clutch etc in it. Now it is getting sills rebuild.  That should be it.

Is anyone else seeing the burn-outs, bbq & beer chilli harvest festival becoming a thing?

Glad we got this greenhouse built after the "character building" caused when building mine! It is definitely easier the second time around....

Rush35 said:
Glad we got this greenhouse built after the "character building" caused when building mine! It is definitely easier the second time around....
Darren! Hell yeah man.

By the way - I have a table for one side of your greenhouse. I had 3 600mm by 2400mm chipboard sheets with stands. I used two last night - they fit perfectly because the depth of each side is 600mm and the lenght of my greenhouse is exactly 1 sheet long which is 2400. So perfect fit.

For yours I have one of those sheets left, so itll be exactly as wide as you need it just about 600mm short length wise. You just need to get some plastic to cover it as it'll soak up if you get water on it. I'm working late tonight and i have my boss coming over after tea to do some paperwork but tomorrow or thursday if you're at home ill bring it over to your place.

Back