• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hand Pollenating?

My mom recommends that I hand pollenate as flowers bloom, but others I've spoken with say they've never done this and still had great harvests. Arguments for and against?

Hand pollenating helps a lot indoors, where natural pollinators like wind, and bees dont exist. Outside, you don't need to worry so much.

That said, even with my outdoor plants, I'll give the main stalk a little jiggle once a day, just to help out a bit.

That's what I was hoping to hear, guys. Thanks a bunch. Just noticed my first buds today, so I thought I'd check it out. My mom's been gardening since I was a kid, so I didn't want to dismiss the advice, but I hear more people saying it's not necessary, so I'll go with that. Thanks again!

With peppers being efficient self-pollinators, even just bumping the pot of an indoor plant from time to time works. It doesn't take much at all - once a day while it's in bloom is sufficient. Wind and bugs if outside are plenty, though I usually end up jostling my plants outside a bit almost every day, either in the process of watering them or hunting for pods. (I grow in pots.)

Back