• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Handling seeds of superhots

I have yet to work with superhots. I have some superhot seeds I want to start. I know that most of the capsaicin in a chili is located in the placenta and around the seeds. So...will I need to wear gloves or use tweezers when handling these seeds? I plan to give them a soak before planting in the hydrocubes. I'm just really curious about whether or not superhot chili seeds can burn my fingers (and if I should avoid touching my face, etc. after physically touching one of the seeds).

Definitely use gloves. I prefer purple nitrile gloves, as they are usually powder-free and are very reasonably priced, not to mention they provide a good contrast when handling the seeds.

I just joined a little over a week ago, and all ready the wealth of knowledge I've gained is incredible!

Thank you for your replies and tips! It is truly useful for me.

Something many of us do is give the seeds a brief bath in a 10:1 mix of water:hydrogen peroxide. This helps kill off any nasties that may be hiding on the surface which will reactivate when they get moist. You only need to soak them in the solution for a few minutes.

I have yet to work with superhots. I have some superhot seeds I want to start. I know that most of the capsaicin in a chili is located in the placenta and around the seeds. So...will I need to wear gloves or use tweezers when handling these seeds? I plan to give them a soak before planting in the hydrocubes. I'm just really curious about whether or not superhot chili seeds can burn my fingers (and if I should avoid touching my face, etc. after physically touching one of the seeds).
LOL ! buddy ya aint got the slightest Idea.
I apologize for the laugh , not laughing at yer post
its just that most of us have learned the tuff way. I wash my hands befor Handling all seeds with bare hands because gloves make my hands really clumsy , and wash them with water and a tadd of bleach after. the bleach turnes the cap. oils into a salt, neutralizing the burn.

I can usually handle handling them carefully without gloves once they've dried. But every batch is different, and you never know when you end up making contact with delicate areas of your body or someone's close to you. Yowsa.

But honestly, when planting, I use tweezers for everything. I actually don't have to use gloves that way (if I'm lazy or not feeling like it - don't love the feeling), and the way I plant, I need tweezers anyway. Else I end up making a mess and not planting consistent depth, etc., etc.

And yeah. Good to have you on board. You got me all re-interested in my Tepins the other day with your post.

Crazy enough, I stumbled across a HUGE wild Tepin in my back yard the next day...

yup gloves,tweezers and or washing hands is a good idea especially if you are handling a lot of seeds. I have shaking hands anymore
so I use gloves and deseed the pods leaving a good amount of plasenta, so I have to do the glove thing again when I go to soak and plant my seeds.

I would suggest gloves. The oil probably wont burn your hands but it can burn under your finger nails or if you wear a ring any that gets under there may burn. The hands are not the issue, its the eyes, nose, your private areas, your partners private areas, the cat, the dog, children, and things like that. Oil can be hard to get off. I cut some primos one night, washed my hands, took a shower, and washed my hair. The next day I did not handle pods and I went to adjust my balls and.... ut oh.... Yea... Gloves.

Typically I'll use gloves when deseeding as you say and never have with dried seeds but have gotten a burn on the face, lol.

We've all done it a few times, where unconciously, we've scratched an itch, rubbed our face/nose, only to realize what just happened. I even went to take a shower, and by the time I realized it, I had already lathered up and used the soap everywhere... That wasn't a fun day...

We've all done it a few times, where unconciously, we've scratched an itch, rubbed our face/nose, only to realize what just happened. I even went to take a shower, and by the time I realized it, I had already lathered up and used the soap everywhere... That wasn't a fun day...

Yeah. It's funny. The burn will go away and then when I shower the next morning, it's back! Maybe under my nails or something. Not really sure. But I know that feeling. Where your whole head has a nice light flame on.

Yup, that's happened too. I realized too late that the el-cheapo gloves I used weren't cutting it, and even after double-gloving up, the capsaicin oil still seeped through to my hands. That's why I switched over to nitrile. MUCH better

I De seeded a red habanero for sowing next year, didn't realise I had cut the glove accidently.
When I took the gloves off I managed to rub oil on my forehead and 'down there' before realising what happened.

I was in alot of pain for about 6 hours, cause obviously when you're poking about the placenta you are getting oil out.

It hurt to shower too.

I changed glove brand after that!

Back