• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hanoi Red X Aji Cajamarca F1

The F1 may not be much too look at but there could be some really cool variation in the F2s. Anyway this is my first successful cross so I'm stoked! I hope to develope a Thai variety that ripens with multiple color stages like the cajamarca.

From left to right is, Hanoi Red, Hanoi Red X Cajamarca, Cajamarca.
IMAG0351.jpg

The plant looks like the Hanoi. It's small and compact with annuum looking leaves but the pods are pendant and much larger. They taste sweet with a Thai like finish although not quite as hot as the Hanoi.

Thanks for looking!

"Your Cajamarca looks very atypical.."

The seeds came from NMSU. I've noticed most peoples pods seem a bit more elongated than the picture on NMSU's website but I think that better represents the Aji varieties anyway.

Here' s a pic of the plant.
AjiCajamarca20122.jpg

It looks spot on to me.

I grew it last year from CPI and mine were pointy looking like the ones in the second pic there.

The Cajamarca pod in my first pic came from that plant in the second pic. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the actual father plant from last year but it was a good example of what this variety should look like.

My opinion is that the "cajamarca" is just an aji limo collected from Cajamarca. Non-commercial Aji limo is quite variable in form and color even on the same plant. I think NMSU just took the liberty of naming it after the collection point, not after what it was actually called at its collection point. Just my guess/opinion, judging from what I have read in various Peruvian cookbooks and publications. So if the "Cajamarca" is an aji limo, shape variability should be expected. Aji limos from one market may look a lot different than ones sold in a market in another city.

I know a few people from Cajamarca, Peru and none of them has heard of an aji called Cajamarca. I'll have to show them some pics of mine and see if they recognise it. I've heard aji limo is very spicy but I find that my Cajamarcas are only moderately spicy.

Could be an aji miscucho as well. Miscucho might be local slang for miscellaneous, I'm not sure. Also, if you do an image search for "aji limo" you will see photos from Peru of many different shaped and colored ajies labeled as "Aji Limo". Heat could vary as well, from very very hot to medium I suppose.

Do you like the flavor, is the cross better? I found it rather bland when I grew it in 2011... I crossed it with a Choco Bhut and I think that improved it:

081212001.jpg

I'm very happy with the flavor. It's sweet and fruity upfront with a Thai flavor finish and burn. It is somewhat milder than the Hanoi but still quite nice. It's also not overly seedy. Its perfect for eating fresh in salsa or salads.

Back